Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ruhlman\'s Charcuterie, page 190

Options
Boilermaker Ben
Boilermaker Ben Posts: 1,956
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Many thanks to AZRP, Grandpas Grub, Little Chef, fishless, Weekend Warrior, Cruezen, Hoss and Angela for your honest comments and advice on the grinder. I'm now the proud owner of an LEM 1/4hp #5 meat grinder. Drove up to Polish-town yesterday afternoon to pick it up. Supposedly unused, but at the very least, only lightly used. Very good condition mechanically, just a couple spots of rust on one of the non-stainless parts, after having sat in the guy's garage for a couple years. Much quieter than I was expecting, although I suppose it might be louder when it's processing meat. At about half price, and either unused, or at least only used a couple times, I think it was a pretty fantastic deal.

Ok, I know I'm starting with advanced stuff here, but I can't find Spanish chorizo or Portuguese chaurice locally, and I've got kale in the garden waiting for frost. I'm looking forward to making Portuguese kale soup this fall/winter with good fresh kale, and I need some chorizo. I acknowledge that failure with a first crack at dried sausage is a good possibility, but I'm willing to try.

I re-read through the applicable parts of Charcuterie last night (and will do so a few more times before I actually execute this), and wrote down the supplies I'd need to purchase, but sadly, I left the list at home this morning. Can someone please check page 190 and let me know which starter culture the recipe for spanish chorizo calls for? If I recall correctly, it also calls for curing salt #2, as opposed to pink salt, and recommends hog middles for the casing. I'll take care of the standard grocery ingredients later, but I'd like to order the sausage supplies today, if I can.

Comments