Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pressure cooker advice

Options
Little Steven
Little Steven Posts: 28,817
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I did potatoes in my pressure cooker on Monday and it didn't come up to pressure. Long story short the potatoes burned badly and I threw it out. I am interested in a new one and from what I have read to date the Kuhn Rikon looks really good. Any advice or other reccomendations?
TIA

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    For 200 USD, they'd BETTER be good!! Fagor's are supposed to be good too, for half the price. Ask Michelle.

As for your potatoes, you DO know that was likely operator error, right? :laugh:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Serial Griller
    Options
    Steve,
    Get the Kuhn Rikon, 7 quart.It will do anything you want to do including thirdeye's pastrami.
    I love mine.It's worth the money.5 safety devices.So easy to clean and opreate.Great recipe booklet .Very high quality.You will be able to leave it for your kids and grand kids.
    We use ours all the time, especiallty for beans.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Steve: I have used a Fagor for years. Super heavy bottom, and all around great performer for about 25% of the price. (Carolina Q, you have one heck of a memory... ;) )
    A bit of advice for the next totally burnt pot...(I swear this works!)...About an inch of water, brought to a boil, then liberally add baking soda (so it covers all the burnt areas). Let it simmer a while, then shut it off and let it sit overnight. I am telling you, it has accomplished miracles! (For When TIM burns something...you know!!) :laugh: :whistle::blush:
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Jon,

Thanks. I like the idea of the limited steam release because I want to use it on an induction top that isnt covered by an exhaust.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Options
    Michelle,

Thanks, the six quart is on sale right now for 99 bucks.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Options
    Michael,

No it wasn't a piece fell out of the relief valve. I mess up plenty without taking the heat for that B). They are on sale right now for $99.00 plus two cookbooks thrown in.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    On sale where Steve?

Maybe on sale out here too...

Doug
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Darlin', I save everything!!! hahaha

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Trevor says: " The one I have I got at Canadian Tire. It's a more upper end one (7L Lagostina® Pressure Cooker $129.99) and I think it's quite excellent. Fortunately, it goes on sale (1/2 price) quite often (our group is ahead of the curve I think!). As I'm a bit of a C-tire junky, I will let everyone know when it gets cheap!"

Here: >>I Heart Pressure Cooking
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Little Steven
    Options
    What?

Who is Trevor?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stike
    Options
    Our Mystery Guest, Trevor, is a Canadian who also spends some time in the US, who likes pressure cooking, tri-tip, and long walks on the beach.

rumor has it, he owns a big green egg, too. ;)
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    hahahahaha

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• lowercasebill
    Options
    does that work on burnt silicone muffin tins?
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    i have the k r 7 liter and am very happy ,, consult thirdeye and miss vickie
    http://missvickie.com/
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Sounds like a nice guy. You mean long walks on the beach alone?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stike
    Options
    He has a great pumpkin pie recipe (actually squash, surprise!) on that site.

Here:>> Pumpkin Pie Surpise! (Scroll Down)

It's VERY similar to this recipe, from the forum. I wonder if these two guys know each other.

Hmmm:>>Pumpkin Pie Surprise, SURPRISE!!
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Thanks bill!

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Options
    Buttercup squash. Must be a US thing. So this Trevor you speak of has actually been on the forum?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    :woohoo: :laugh: Nope! The only thing that saves your a$$ with the silicone is a trip to the store to replace it, and a drink waiting for the wife when she arrives home from work... :laugh:

For our recent additions that don't know the story, this is what happens when the hubby borrows the wifes silicone bakeware, leaves the Egg lid open, and posts on the forum....
    PB092913.jpg

And this is what the wife comes home from work to find... ;)
    P4150001-4.jpg
    (smart husband... :laugh: )
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    So, Steven... where's the deal on the Kuhn Rikon?

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• stike
    Options
    i don't think so. he's a very talented cook, it seems, from his facebook page. which, oddly, just moments ago was deactivated. almost like he didn't want anyone here from the forum to go there. i wonder why? i mean, it was public before, but now it's private.

too bad.

a shame. if only there were other web pages with his name and face on them, then maybe we could contact him thru that email and ask him to reactivate that page.
  • stike
    Options
    Thankfully, google has cached it. I wonder why someone would suddenly take down their web page? it's almost like the guy was HERE, and lurking, and reading about pressure cooking here on the forum. What an amazing coincidence.

This guy would be a great asset to the forum. Seems very friendly, helpful, and not at all archly superior and hostile

Thankfully, you can still see the info here. it's very helpful.

Link>> Google Cache of "I Heart Pressure Cooking"
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Perhaps something at his alma mater site?. I had so hoped he would give me some nice friendly advice. I would bet he would have gone to one of the good marine biology schools in Canada which would have meant Dalhousie. In fact I have seen that name on a couple of East Coast sites.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Is it your bedtime yet? :laugh: :whistle:;)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • stike
    Options
    have you figured it out yet? sheesh. i thought i was being way to obvious. i guess that's not possible around here.
    hahahaha
  • stike
    Options
    oh now that is just not nice.

i would never have done THAT. :laugh:
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    You wear it on your chin....hahaha
    Try harder man.. :whistle::)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I still have no idea what you are talking about. In all sincerity I was really hoping for some pressure cooking advice. What is that little fuel efficient car?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stike
    Options
    huh?

sorry

maybe my incredibly obvious clues were not obvious enough.

carolinaQ figured it out with the first hint.
  • stike
    Options
    a prius? no. first you start out with high hopes to buy a prius, then when the people on that forum argue with you, you berate them and prove to them that a prius isn't at all 'green' anyway. then you buy a used audi A3.

hahahahaha