Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Defrosting A Pork Butt On The Counter?

Options
Deluca
Deluca Posts: 148
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I put a frozen butt in a zip lock bag, seasoned it, and set it in the sink over night. It didn't thaw out enough for today. So I guess I'm going to leave it on the counter for a while and throw it in the fridge for tonight and do 'er up tomorrow. So how long will it take to defrost a pork butt on the counter? Oh, it's a bone in about 5.5 lbs....

Thanks

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Deluca,

I did one from rock solid last week. Came out great. It took a bit longer than the others I did with it but it was as good or better.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    It has always been my understanding that, from a food safety standpoint, you should NEVER defrost on the counter.

I usually leave a frozen butt in the refrigerator, though that takes a few days. Smaller items, chops, breasts, etc., I put in a pot of water. I imagine you could do that with a butt if you have a bag large enough.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Deluca
    Deluca Posts: 148
    Options
    Okay...
    It's going in water till it thaws and then into the fridge overnight and then into the egg.
  • BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    Options
    i wouldn't worry about letting it thaw on the counter or sink. I have been doin it for years, my parents have been, my Grandparents, and there parents and so on. It just been a big push the past 10 yrs about food safety. Now i wouldn't let the thing sit out for a couple days, or when the food thaws put it in the frdge or cook it up.... ask your local butcher how long they leave meat out... you would be suprised.