Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tough, but tasty, chicken skin...

Options
Deckhand
Deckhand Posts: 318
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I did another of Little Steven's "Upside Down Chickens" and was happy with the meat temps (breast 165°, thighs 185°) and the skin was quite tasty...but tough.. Wanted to stay in one piece even when slicing with sharp knife. Previous "Upside Down Chicken" came out with "bite through" skin. Both birds were seasoned with a heavy dose of "Shakin the Tree" under and on the skin. Both were started at 250° dome and finished at 300°. The only difference was that the first (pre-Guru) chicken went longer at at the higher temperature. I was away from the house and the total cook went 2 hrs, slightly drying the breast meat. If I had gone 1/2 hr longer at the higher temp (or gone to it earlier) would I have increased my chances at getting crispy skin? (The chicken's skin, not mine... flashbacks will take care of the latter.) Oh yeah, I did put the bird in the refrigerator for a couple of hours to dry the skin and sprayed it liberally with lime juice. Could the D.P seasoning under the skin have a "curing" effect that would toughen the skin?