Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Should supporting GREEN require free advertising?

thebtls
thebtls Posts: 2,300
edited November -1 in Off Topic
Should going GREEN include advertising? HMMMMM...

I'll admit that while cooking on BGE increases my carbon footprint significantly, we do try to be green, organic and sustainable as much as we can. We use all organic beef, chicken and veggies. We also have two car trunks full of those canvas shopping bags (this is part of our attempt to at least act GREEN). Problem is, these bags, while nice, all include HUGE corporate logos and advertising on them.

83969f13.jpg

I converted one of them...I think I may do the rest! Maybe I should start a line of NON-advertising shopping bags...got any venture capital lying around?
Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    How is it that cooking on BGE increases your carbon footprint significantly?
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Well it has increased MY wieght and in soft dirt or sand, it certainly increases my footprint. Oh wait, maybe not what he meant :whistle:
  • thebtls
    Lump Charcoal produces about 13,000 Btu per pound and 7 pounds of carbon dioxide per hour and carbon dioxide is one of two primary types of greenhouse gases associated with this topic.

While us charcoal lovers tend to claim that when the charcoal is burned the carbon dioxide is returned to the atmosphere, closing a carbon neutral cycle, there is a very convincing argument to the contrary too.

Add in the use of propane weed burners or torches for instance to light a BGE and you have to add to that the fact that propane produces about 15,000 Btu per pound and 5.6 pounds of carbon dioxide per hour. Unfortunately propane is a non-reunable source of energy which takes you down yet another path for debate.

The REAL point however of my original post was the humor I saw in bags intended for 'green' use all contain advertising; slight but humor nonetheless, or less, or none.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • Totally agree. I don't think we should have to pay to advertise for the store. I also think if a car dealer wants to put their name on my car I should get a free oil change or something once a year. Now that I am thinking of it I should get a few cents off my bill when I have to check myself out. That translates to less employees I would think. If you find anyone with that venture capital I'll be at the front of the line to by your bags. Loved the prototype.
  • if your car has your dealer's name anywhere on it, then you need to work up a little backbone. :laugh:

my old man ordered a car, and the first thing he said to the guy after buying it was "and i don't want to see your plastic frigging name tag on the thing. it doesn't say "newman ford" in the damn photos in the brochure, and i don't want it on my car".

the salesman wrote "no badge" on the order.

a month or so later when it came in (never understood buying the car on the lot instead of ordering one), they prepped it and asked my father to come in and pick it up.

they pulled it around, and told my father to grab a seat, and they would familiarize him with the car. being a sour, jaded, impatient curmudgeon, he declined the invite to get in, and said "i think i can work the radio, but thank you" and in the same breath ask the salesman if he had a pair of channel lock pliers. the guy looked at him a little odd, but said "sure. gimme a sec."

he came back in not a few seconds, and handed my father the pliers. my old man took them, and grabbed the little metally-plastic dealer name badge from the rear deck lid, tore it off, and handed it and the pliers to the salesman. hopped in, and drove away.

:laugh:
  • In my experience, canvas grocery bags with company logos on them are usually given away free. For that, I will gladly tote one around.I don't think many people would suspect that I am endorsing their product.

On the other hand, companies that charge for bags with logos on them (such as Whole Foods) can just keep them.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• thebtls
    VI you are correct, at trades shows, home shows, etc. bags are free booty. Not at the grocery or big box stores (though they should be).
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Gary,

Quite a controversy uphere.The City of Toronto instituted a $05. charge per plastic bag. The major chains outside of the city has been doing the same thing but there is no money going to the government for it.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• l think it should go to the government IF they use it for ecological purposes, but if the fee discourages people from using plastic bags, then it may be justified even if the fee is kept at the store.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: B)
  • Hoss
  • Hoss
    If they are stupid enough to buy em,Why not? :huh: I think reusing plastic bags that have already been made suffices.Reusing them several times keeps em outta the landfill.When they tear or get holes I put em in the recycle bin.Buyin canvass bags ain't green.Ever think about how many chemicals/pesticides/insecticides/herbicides are used in producing cotton??? Not to mention the child labor in China used to make the bags cheap enough to buy em here.Migrant farm workers,diesel and petroleum products used in/on the machinery to produce/refine the cotton.Just sayin... ;) Cotton itself is green,producing it is'nt.If the bags were made of TRUE organic cotton,handsewn etc,etc,they would cost about $100 or more a bag.Let's see how well they sell then. :)