Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Quick Advice Needed - Brats

Options
NoleC5
NoleC5 Posts: 176
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi Everyone,

I'm doing some brats and italian sausage for some friends today. Just doing them direct on a raised grid. Is their a recommended temp that I should be shooting for? Just want to make sure I don't get anyone sick.

Thanks,
- Danny

Comments

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    Danny, I would cook them to at least 165F internal.
    Gary
    canuckland
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Danny, I have put a link below that will be useful to you.

145° if precooked 165° (as Canugghead said) if raw.

Great eats...
    bratsonmini.jpg

brats.jpg

When is the food done - Food Cooking Temperatures

Kent
  • NoleC5
    NoleC5 Posts: 176
    Options
    Great, thanks guys! Saved the link also. Ended up getting them to about 180-190 to be on the safe side...but they were still pretty good. Thanks again.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    hahaha! I have never checked the temp of a brat, Italian sausage, kielbasa, hamburger, hot dog, etc. in my life! Not ever. Light the lump, wait til it gets hot, add food. When it LOOKS done, it IS done.

Been doin' that for 40+ years. Ain't dead yet. :laugh:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Glad to hear it. My dad was the same way. Just before he passed he said his demise was due to all that damn carrot juice he drank. 1 or 2 glasses every single day. He passed one or two days before his 100'th birthday.

I never took the temperature of sausage, braut's or dogs until I was reading some sausage related articles. Seems if you take the pork over 165° it will have a more tougher texture. If I am slicking pork I usually cook it to 145°.

GG