Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Trex Steaks

Options
Deggman
Deggman Posts: 56
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have had my egg for a week now, and cooked up 4 primo ribeyes using the T-rex method lastnight. Before getting the BGE I would cook my steaks on my weber gas grill, and I hate to sound cocky, but I cooked some damn good steaks on that thing. With that grill I could get the temp up to 650* and cook a New York in about 8 minutes. So I was a little hesitant about the T-rex method. I bought some really nice Ribeyes from my local butcher, I couldn't believe the marbling on these bad boys! Anyway, My fiance's father, who had never seen, or heard of a BGE was scracthing his head when he saw my XL with flames coming out of the top as I opened the lid and threw $80 of beef on to the flames! Anyway, I seared each side for just over a minute, let them rest for about fifteen minutes, threw them back on about 3 minutes a side, they were just a tad over cooked, but hey it was my first time and I don't have a thermometer, I've never used one on steaks, but I guess I will have to get one! The steaks were excellent, I was shocked at how the steak was cooked so evenly, sorry I have no pics, next time I promise! Great method for steaks, but next time I think I will just extend the searing portion of the method to cook my steaks, hot and fast baby!