Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Corn bread gone bad!

Options
Smokin' Stogies
Smokin' Stogies Posts: 177
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
No, the muffins didn't rob a liquor store. But they could have been used for hockey pucks.

Not sure what I did wrong but need advise on how to vastly improve them. The family loves corn bread muffins, especially my daughter and since she is my daughter, she gets what she wants from dad. So I tried to make the muffins in a traditional 6 muffin pan on my med egg. I had it set up for indirect, platesetter legs up with grate on top, temp at grate was 400. I always cook them at 400 in the oven. I was using my digi q to monitor the grate temp as well as an et73. When I checked on them at 20 minutes, the tops were still under done, toptick test confirmed and I left them for 2 more minutes. Pulled the pan, popped them over and the bottoms were dark brown and like hockey pucks.

Any advise, do I need to alter temp, length of time, set up in the egg? We love corn bread and prefer to make them as muffins. I know I could go get a CI corn bread pan but now I am determined to perfect this. Help!!!!

Smokin'Stogies in Exton, Pa with my wife and our four dogs; Sully and Boo the Newfoundlands, Murphy the Irish Setter and Alli the Beagle/Lab mix. 

Eggers Prayer-

Our egg, which art in sizes, hallowed be thy smoke, thy will be grilled, at home as it is at eggfest. Give us this clay our daily brisket and forgive us our rubs, as we forgive those who gas grill against us, and lead us not to flashback but deliver us from overnighters. For thine is the grill, the smoke, the egg. Let's eat!

Comments

• BDogD
    BDogD Posts: 14
    Options
    I don't have any answers about corn bread (love it but have only done it in the oven), but is that a Newfie in your picture? Love Newfies!
  • Smokin' Stogies
    Options
    Yes, that is Sully, after Sullivan from Monsters Inc. He is our second one, we lost our first, Bear, back in February. He is 16 months and 130 lbs. Full of fun and frolic. We are waiting on a litter to get a girl who we will call Bo. We also have an Irish Setter and a mixed breed.

Smokin'Stogies in Exton, Pa with my wife and our four dogs; Sully and Boo the Newfoundlands, Murphy the Irish Setter and Alli the Beagle/Lab mix. 

Eggers Prayer-

Our egg, which art in sizes, hallowed be thy smoke, thy will be grilled, at home as it is at eggfest. Give us this clay our daily brisket and forgive us our rubs, as we forgive those who gas grill against us, and lead us not to flashback but deliver us from overnighters. For thine is the grill, the smoke, the egg. Let's eat!

• BDogD
    BDogD Posts: 14
    Options
    I've shared my life with 2 boy Newfies. Hawthorne was the first - passed away 2+ years ago at 11 and a half - pretty good age for a Newf. Second one is Hampden - he lives with my ex, and she got a third one, an adult female named Jessie. She also has a Maltese, quite a contrast there - like an Oreo cookie. Newfs are such sweet dogs.
  • Smokin' Stogies
    Options
    Bear was 8 1/2 when we had to put her down. She developed bone cancer. My wife and I will always have them, that's for sure. They are such great dogs as long as you can deal with th drool and the hair. Hope you are able to get one again soon, great companions.

Eggers Prayer-

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    You're missing some parts...

Platesetter, legs down
    spacers (green feet, copper plumbing elbows, etc.)
    Pizza stone
    Muffin pan

No grid needed.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    SS
    I wonder how long your Egg had been at temp when you put them in... dome thermometer can read 400 long before the dome is 400 and radiating heat back to the inside... grid temp will tell you the temp at the pan - but your needing radiant heat back on the tops to cook them also (moisture is evaporating and keeping the tops cooler)
    I always cook cornbread at 450-475...
    hope this helps....
    Kent Madison MS
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Options
    I use the setup as CarolinaQ. This is the recipe I am successful with, and I make mine in cast iron corn stick pans, or heavy baking pan like Corning or Le Cruset. Not thin metal tins. Watch the temp!! Also I do grease or brush the pans with bacon fat.

Durgin Park Corn Bread

Thick, yellow squares of corn bread arrive at the table before every Durgin-Park meal. It is grainy and rough-textured, moist and slightly sweet. Sturdy enough to smear with butter, it is also ideal for crumbling onto the top of a dish of baked beans or a bowl of chowder. "The secret is mixing it by hand," Tommy Ryan says. "A machine makes it too fine, and you end up with cake."

Servings: 12 to 14
    • 2 cups all-purpose flour
    • 1-1/3 cups yellow cornmeal
    • 2 teaspoons salt
    • 1/2 cup sugar
    • 5 teaspoons baking powder
    • 1-1/2 large eggs
    • 1-1/2 cups milk
    1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
    2. In a large mixing bowl mix the flour, cornmeal, salt, sugar, and baking powder.
    3. Beat the eggs and add to the dry ingredients alternately with the milk. Mix by hand; do not use a mixer.
    4. Pour the mixture into a greased 10” iron skillet and bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Transfer to serving dish and serve hot.

Halved recipe makes 7” iron skillet

The following is 1/3 recipe for six sticks

2/3 C flour
    1/2 C cornmeal
    2/3 t salt
    2 or 3 T sugar
    1-2/3 t bp
    1/2 egg
    1/2 C milk
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    Were the muffins on the outside burnt more on the bottom than the inside? Was it sitting on the grid or on the platesetter? I typically do cornbread in a CI skillet with no issues.
  • Smokin' Stogies
    Options
    First, I knew I could count on Carolina Q and the rest of you. They were thin tin pans and it was only a 6 count pan sitting on the grate. The temp was at 400 but not long so that makes sense. I just found some stoneware and le creuset pans on line so the tin ones will be long gone. I will also try the recipe posted. Thanks again all.

Eggers Prayer-