Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Overnight brisket

Options
c tredwell
c tredwell Posts: 575
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
well, this was my 1st flat...I had better luck with the first whole one I cooked :unsure:
brisket.jpg
Rubbed and in fridge for 24 hrs....

brisket001.jpg
9 hrs @ 275F...

Birthday pottery....Thanks Trent! (my 7 year old)
brisket002.jpg

Sliced...A little dry...pulled it off at 210F
brisket003.jpg

Did it go too long? Why no smoke ring? Why am I here?
Next time another whole one.... :blink:

Comments

• Adult ADHD
    Options
    It looks good. I hope it taste just as good.
  • Smokin' Stogies
    Options
    Did you wrap it in aluminum foil and place it in a cooler with some towels? I let mine get to 185 to 200 tops, then wrap in HDAF and have let it sit in the cooler for up to 4 hours. It needs to rest to let the juices absorb back into the meat. For smoke, did you use chunks or chips? I usually use three chucks, one of apple and two of hickory. They are placed at 12, 4 & 8 and buried a little. They will smoke for a longer period of time and give you that nice ring. Give us a little more info and don't get frustrated. It looked good, nice bark and hopefully it was tasty!

Smokin'Stogies in Exton, Pa with my wife and our four dogs; Sully and Boo the Newfoundlands, Murphy the Irish Setter and Alli the Beagle/Lab mix. 

Eggers Prayer-

Our egg, which art in sizes, hallowed be thy smoke, thy will be grilled, at home as it is at eggfest. Give us this clay our daily brisket and forgive us our rubs, as we forgive those who gas grill against us, and lead us not to flashback but deliver us from overnighters. For thine is the grill, the smoke, the egg. Let's eat!

• c tredwell
    Options
    Tastes good...just not as good as my 1st...Hickory chunks burried in the lump....I didn't foil, maybe thats where the dryness comes from. The whole one I did was 16 lbs and full of fat. This one was a little leaner. Good, just not my best effort....I'll live to smoke another day B)
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Dry usually means overcooked. 210° is pretty high of a temp for just a flat. I usually wind up in the mid to high 190°'s., and I do rest a long while.

You do have a smoke ring, on the face that is on the cutting board (you don't get them on the fat cap side), it's just darker like this one below. Probably due to the 24 hours with the rub.

brisketburntends1.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Smokin' Stogies
    Options
    I didn't foil foil my first one either, could have used it as a wheel block on my car, dry as a brick. Nexttime I am sure.

Smokin'Stogies in Exton, Pa with my wife and our four dogs; Sully and Boo the Newfoundlands, Murphy the Irish Setter and Alli the Beagle/Lab mix. 

Eggers Prayer-

Our egg, which art in sizes, hallowed be thy smoke, thy will be grilled, at home as it is at eggfest. Give us this clay our daily brisket and forgive us our rubs, as we forgive those who gas grill against us, and lead us not to flashback but deliver us from overnighters. For thine is the grill, the smoke, the egg. Let's eat!

• 61chev
    61chev Posts: 539
    Options
    You wont get a smoke ring cooking with fat cap up I always cook with fat down to protect from to much heat and I always cook flats on my medium wholes are to large
  • FearlessGrill
    Options
    I second Thirdeye on the temp. In the 190's or maybe up to 200. One thing to remember on brisket cooks it that it isn't all about temperature, but also texture. It's ready to come off when you can slide a probe both in and out of the meat with no resistance.

When I cook a brisket, I use my Maverick to monitor the temp as it's cooking, and set an alarm when the meat temp hits 190. I then check with my thermapen on the thickest point of the meat. When I can get the thermapen in and out without resistance, it's done. At that point, like Smokin Stogies said, I pull it off, foil, and let it rest in a cooler for at least an hour.

Looked good anyway. Good luck on your next one.

-John