Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rubbery Chicken Skin

Options
BBQBluesStringer
BBQBluesStringer Posts: 398
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How do you avoid it? I made the best tasting chicken I've ever done last night, but the skin wasn't crispy. It was rubbery! I was using a new funky lump that was difficult to get up to temperature, so the pieces stayed in a little longer at 200-225 than normal. When the egg got to 275 and the Raging River set up, I mopped them a couple times with my standard vinegar, Captain Morgan's, maple syrup mop. Maybe that's what kept the skin from getting crispy? Total cooking time was about 3.5 hours. Fat rendered well on the thighs... couldn't find any on them after cooking to 180F. Should I pull 'em, crank up the temp and grill for a few minutes to crisp up the skin?[p]Damn, I hate chicken!

Comments

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    BBQBluesStringer,[p]I had the same issue. My solution has been to stop making Beer Butt Chicken and do the spatchcock method. [p]Also, I bought one of the oil sprayers. I cook at 350 - 375 degrees on a raised grid, letting temp rise to 425. Just befor I think it's done, I spray with olive oil add a bit more rub or garlic and finish on the lower grid (at the higher temp). [p]The skin crisps right up (it will burn if you are not careful)![p]Smokey
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Aug007.jpg
    <p />BBQBluesStringer,[p]Yes! If you crank up the heat in the end to 300 or more, you will crisp up the skin. Be careful, though, as it's very easy to burn the skin at the higher temps ... especially with sugar in your sauce.[p]I will normally cook thighs direct at 250 for about 2 hours on a raised grid turning about 4 times.... letting the temp slowly rise up to 275 - 300 in the end for the skin.
    This consistently gives a crispy skin when using a lightish coating of sauce.... it could be if you're really dousing with sauce, it's keeping the skin too wet to crisp.
    Sounds like you just need to do some more eggsperimentin.... :~).[p]John

• egghead2004
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    drip, drip, drip (mouth watering)

• WooDoggies,[p]Those onions are an illegal garnish which has resulted in a DQ for this entry! Better luck next time . . . . :-)[p]Rod
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    RodDude,[p]Well, that eggsplains that..... you're a genius!......Have you thought about running for the kcbs board? :~)