Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

State Fair Giant Turkey Legs...

Options
SuperDave
SuperDave Posts: 319
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We went to the Oklahoma State Fair a week ago today and while there we enjoyed a Dan's Giant Turkey Leg. It was a giant sized piece of smoke turkey to beat all! Very tasty and smoky indeed. My only problem is, when I taste something this delicious I always come home wanting more and needing to master them myself.
I was not fond of the $8 a piece price tag that came along with this treat so I'm looking for a source of GIANT Turkey legs that I can cook in my Big Green Egg.
Wal-Mart and all the local stores have the regular sized legs, which really aren't that great. It's mostly the tendon/connective tissue with a few morsels of meat. I want the big boys. If anyone knows where to buy them in the OKC/Moore/Norman area please let me know. I'm in Anadarko and they just don't exist here!

I plan on a 16 hour brine soak and a low and slow 250º smoke with either hickory or pecan wood for mine. I welcome all suggestions
Thanks!
Cheers!

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I end up with the best size at the store.
    I do not brine(sure can't hurt) but try this rub - outstanding on turkey legs....
    Kona hard to find, use expresso ground fine instant.
    VERY GOOD on Turkey.... just ask MainEgg..

Rub, Kona Coffee, Hungry Man
    INGREDIENTS:
    1/4 cup salt
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1/2 cup ancho-chili powder
    1/2 cup expresso ground (very fine) Kona coffee
    1/4 cup garlic powder
    1/4 cup ground black pepper
    Procedure:
    1 Mix all and keep in an air tight container.
    I use on spatchcocked turkey / direct at 350/400 high in dome....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• MCR
    MCR Posts: 270
    Options
    I had some turkey legs or drumsticks in Charlotte a few weeks ago. Yes, they were big. The first image coming to mind was "flinstones" style. They tasted like ham, I was surprised, they were good.
    Marc
  • RVH
    RVH Posts: 523
    Options
    Try Ralph's Meats just outside beautiful downtown Perkins. They are a pretty big operation (for rural Oklahoma) with real butchers and everything! If they don't have them, they can probably get them. They might just go out back and shoot a couple for you. You might also try Wheeler Bro.s in OKC.
  • Adult ADHD
    Options
    let me know if you want to share what you learn. I love them.
  • SuperDave
    Options
    Well Folks, So far all I can find is the smallish legs at Wal Mart and the pre cooked and frozen Giant legs. The Giant leg place won't give up their source for the good ones! I'm not whipped yet... The search continues!
  • JerseyEgger
    Options
    See I don't think this is a problem at all. I believe it makes you a hero! Because when you have it all figured out we all know you will share the recipe because you are such a great person!!! B)
    -Eddie
  • SuperDave
    Options
    Well, again... I still haven't found a source for the Giant turkey legs themselves, but my normal poultry brine will work fine. I've done some small legs and they were great.

In one gallon of water over a medium burner on the oven dissolve 1/2 cup of kosher salt, 1/2 cup of turbinado or light golden brown sugar, two teaspoons of onion powder and two teaspoons of garlic powder, one teaspoon of sweet paprika and a teaspoon of thyme or Italian seasoning. I also add to the brine, several shakes of Franks Red Hot and a couple of shakes of apple cider vinegar.

Simmer this mixture until dissolved and cool. I put the turkey legs in a giant zip lock baggie (freezer variety are more secure and sturdy) and store them in the refrigerator for up to 12 hours but not much more. Remove legs from brine and rinse lightly under cool running water and dry on paper towells. Lay legs on a platter and put back in fridge for 2 hours to dry out more, then remove blot again with several paper towels. You want them as dry as possible.

Rub one teaspoon of light olive oil over the legs and season with your favorite dry rub, I use onion and garlic powder, paprika, sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper. Put on Egg indirect at 250 to 270º for approx. 4 to 6 hours with a few chunks of cherry, apple, pecan or hickory wood. Turn legs once an hour and cook till internal temp is 165º. They will carry over cook to 170 while tented under foil in house.... if they last that long!
    Cheers
  • iabbqguy
    Options
    Well, you may be going about your search all wrong. Instead of searching for "giant" turkey legs...you need to find the source of "big ass turkey legs." :P

Big Ass Turkey Legs

A Kinnick Stadium regular for a long time.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    We (the wife and I, and yes, the wife who.....) have only tried one giant turkey leg at the NC State Fair and it was the saltiest horrible thing I've ever tasted. Well, maybe. But it was horrible. We took a few bites and then ditched the thing. Is this normal? Did we just happen to hit a vendor who doesn't know a turkey leg from a salt lick?
    The Naked Whiz
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Posts: 319
    Options
    I've never had a bad one.... I'd say he blew it in a major way. I've brined them, not brined them and they always turn out pretty good. The seasoning is important. I love salt and pepper so I'm not sure what your tastes are... but most of the time, the turkey legs come out of the smoker tasting similar to ham with a heavy smokey flavor. I usually use hickory, but found some Peach wood and it was quite delicious. A little dab of Cayenne pepper dusted on the outside is a treat! You want a dark mahogany colored skin that is very dry and crispy.... Good luck!