Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket replacement

Options
JimS
JimS Posts: 78
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Need the best chemical to take off the old gasket and the glue that was used on the nomex gasket. Thanks

Comments

• civil eggineer
    Options
    Elbow grease, razor blade, and acetone or 92% alcohol. Mostly elbow grease.
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Jim like Tim has said elbow grease. What worked for me was 2 grease rags saturated with acetone or 92% alcohol and I had an area soaking while scraping another. Tim ;)
  • tsbrady
    tsbrady Posts: 101
    Options
    my gasket burned off after the 4th or 5th cook so I guess it was not baked on but I just tore off the remaining gasket then I would take a rag and put a heavy amount of acetione on it and blot about a 1/4 of the way around and let it soak for about a minute then go back with a brass brush and it all came right off
  • Dreggs
    Dreggs Posts: 147
    Options
    Paint thinner works well
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Options
    I replaced mine last week, again. Oy.
    This time I used Strip X paint stripper from Walmart that worked great. I used a razor blade window scraper to get the gunk off. Then I used nail polish remover, probably non acetone or very dilute acetone. Waited one half hour. Then squished lots of Ultra Copper that I bought at an Advanced automotive place. The gasket I used was a woven tubular style from an appliance repair shop made to be used in oven doors. So far, so good. I got a good seal with no leaks. There is no gasket at all on the upper ring. This is thick and cushioning.
    I hope I don't have to do this again.
  • Sundazes
    Options
    burn it off with a Mapp torch