Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need help with Chili temp and time in DO

Options
Smokin' Stogies
Smokin' Stogies Posts: 177
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Fellow eggers,

I decided to take some leftover brisket I have in the freezer and make chili. I was thinking of using my DO and doing it on the Egg. Recommendations on setup (Direct or Indirect) temp and how long? Should I add some smoke then cover or cook covered for the duration? Will the smoke absorb into the chili? Any help is much appreciated. Looking to have this chug along while I am at the Hatfield Pa Eggfest Saturday.

Smokin'Stogies in Exton, Pa with my wife and our four dogs; Sully and Boo the Newfoundlands, Murphy the Irish Setter and Alli the Beagle/Lab mix. 

Eggers Prayer-

Our egg, which art in sizes, hallowed be thy smoke, thy will be grilled, at home as it is at eggfest. Give us this clay our daily brisket and forgive us our rubs, as we forgive those who gas grill against us, and lead us not to flashback but deliver us from overnighters. For thine is the grill, the smoke, the egg. Let's eat!

Comments

• Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    Platesetter, little feet as spacers between platesetter and DO. Cook with top of DO off. Chili will take up smoke but just a little bit.
    If you are going to leave it cooking for more than 2 hrs at 350*, best to cook with the lid on so it doesn't dry out.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Rich have you been busy? Have not seen posts in a while.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Just replace the pork with brisket. GREAT meal. Sometimes I cooki it in the evening with top off lots smoke and after 3-4 hours, shut the BGE down for the night and let the pot stay overnight. Just remember that there needs to be plenty of liquid when you do this or it will dry out and not be so good.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=652863&catid=1
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    Been lurking. Figured I'd said enough. Time to let others talk.
  • Smokin' Stogies
    Options
    Thanks all. Looking forward to trying this. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Smokin'Stogies in Exton, Pa with my wife and our four dogs; Sully and Boo the Newfoundlands, Murphy the Irish Setter and Alli the Beagle/Lab mix. 

Eggers Prayer-

Our egg, which art in sizes, hallowed be thy smoke, thy will be grilled, at home as it is at eggfest. Give us this clay our daily brisket and forgive us our rubs, as we forgive those who gas grill against us, and lead us not to flashback but deliver us from overnighters. For thine is the grill, the smoke, the egg. Let's eat!