Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Different Meats For BGE Chili

Options
Sandlapper
Sandlapper Posts: 81
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey Folks,[p]Smoking up a big pot of chili for Sunday's Redskins game. I was thinking about using ground beef and italian sausage, which I've already added. However, I have a flank steak and some pork butt steaks I was thinking about addingas well. Just turn it into a hearty assorted smoked meat chili.... What do ya' think??? [p]Thanks...GO SKINS!!

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Sandlapper,
    where do you live fellow skins fan??. . .i'm in arlington, and i'm also egging up a pot of chili this afternoon. . .when it comes to meat in the chili, i've tried a bunch of different things, some better than others. ..[p]of course, burger and sausage work great. . .what i do is make up burger patties, and along with the sausage, coat them good with dizzy cowlick and chili powder, then grill them on the egg (get the good egg flavor imparted), then dice them up and add them to the chili. ..i also like to stir fry (in my grill wok), onions and peppers (both sweet and jalapeno), then dice them up fine and add to the chili. . .[p]i have also used stew meat, but didn't like that as much. . .when i buy whole tenderloins at costco for filet mignons, i like to save the 'tails' and grill them up, then add them to the chili (really tasty). . [p]the pork butt and flank steak may be good. . .i'd slice the raw flank steak really thin against the grain, then stir fry it like i said above, then add to the chili. . .it will need to cook for a number of hours though i think for it to be really tender. . .[p]enjoy, and GO SKINS!!

• eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Options
    Sandlapper,[p]was at a friend of mine's restaruant, a small mom and pop joint, and tried his chili for the first time friday. It was really good, just a little too fiery for me. He had just two meats, a sausage-brisket combo.

• Sandlapper
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]I have a house in Reston and split time between there and South Carolina, which is where I am from...Hence the Sandlapper name.[p]Funny you mention Costco. I went yesterday and must have bought one of each meat available. And as you know that can be a LOT. Did almost as you EGGxactly as you suggested before seeing your post. Too funny!!..However, I did add the sliced/pulled butt steaks after smoking for a couple of hours. The chili came out great....really smoky. I'll post a picture if able upon my return from FedEX and the Skins huge win over the Bengals today.

• Sandlapper
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]BTW Max....should you go to Redskins game PLEASE party with us at the Green Lot area E43...we're there for every home game..huge crowd of DC firefighters...really a great crowd to tailgate with...just follow your nose to that unmistakable BGE!![p]Go SKINS!!...We want Ramsey!!