Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

KC RIBS vs. BABY BACK RIBS

Options
EGGRPh
EGGRPh Posts: 180
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi everyone,
I am a moron! I can't remember difference between KC ribs and baby back ribs. The grocery store that I work for has KC ribs on sale for $1.99 per lb. and Baby Back ribs on sale for $3.99 per lb. Which is easier to prepare? Help!

Stef in Brunswick, Oh.

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    As far as I know, KC ribs are just a trimming style for spare ribs. The only difference from St. Louis style is that KC style has the little flap of meat on the bone side cut off.

As far as I'm concerned, they are both quite easy. The thickness and composition throughout are quite even. The trimmed spares take a bit longer because they have a little more connective tissue, and so need a little more attention to keep from drying. For $2/lb difference, I usually go for the spares.

(FWIW, the stores I go to most often charge an extra buck a pound to do the trimming, 1.99 is a pretty good price.)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I get spares and BB's at BJs. Spares (untrimmed) $1.99/lb and BB's $2.99/lb. BBs are easier to prepare if this isn't something you do a lot.

I did BB's for a long time because they were easier.(no trimming required, easier to remove membrane, about an hour less cooking time).

I did Spares a week ago and was surprised that they weren't really more difficult and seemed a LOT meatier.
    they came out great! I also gave away one of the two racks I cooked and still have trimmings left a week later (I just ate the last rib and some trimmings for lunch).

Again, if you haven't made ribs often, it's much easier to remove the membrane from BBs, smaller racks are easier to handle and they don't take quite as long to cook. On the other hand if you are comfortable with ribs and are just wondering which to go for, I'd vote for the Spares.
  • maybe they mean St. Louis Style? KC Ribs usually (i may be wrong) refers to the ribs being served with a thick sweet sauced applied. if the ribs have a sauce on them already and are precooked, avoid them like the plague.

if the question is back ribs versus spares, then i would personally do spares to serve myself and family, trimmed St. Louis Style.

if i am serving a party of neighbors, i usually go back ribs only because 1.) they are marketed so heavily that's what folks think is "best" (some clown is always singing "i want my baby-back-baby-back....") and 2.) they go quicker and i don't have much trimming to deal with, if any.

i like the trimmings from spares for sausage, but it adds up quick if cooking spares for a lot of guests.