Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Low and slow turkey?

Options
PA Dutch Egger
PA Dutch Egger Posts: 128
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was given a frozen turkey that was stored in a freezer since last Thanksgiving. I have done the Mad Max method a number of times and I want to try something that requires less prep. I am not brining it either this time. I want to try a lower temp such as 250 to 275 degrees. Has anyone tried this? What temp roughly and how many minutes a pound? I know - cook to temp, but I need an idea when I have to put it on for evening meal tomorrow.

Comments

• civil eggineer
    Options
    I recently tried low & slow chicken and was dissapointed and it reinforced what I knew was correct. Low & slow is for fatty meats that contain a lot of colligan. Low fat meats are better cooked at high temp as quickly as possible to prevent drying out. If it were me, I would cook that turkey at 375 to 400 degrees, indirect until breast was 160 and thighs were 180. You can pre-ice the breasts for a couple of hours while the turkey is sitting out before the cook. A 13 lb bird takes slightly over 2 hours at those temps.

I also don't do all the hoopla for cooking turkeys. A little salt and pepper and throw it in.
  • LFGEnergy
    Options
    I tried several low and slows with Turkey last year, with absolutely no success :sick: :( :ermm: :blush: . Brined, not brined, all I made was a mess. May be new to egging, but still, not something I would try again! Trying to get temp on a bird that big without drying is tough (no pun intended). Bless the hearts of my relatives that ate it and complimented my efforts :whistle: !

Good luck, but the way others rave about Mad Max, think I would stick to the tried and true.

Dave in Keller, Texas
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Spatchcock it and go to 350/400 high in dome and direct. Will take 80 min + or -....... This works and real good with a coffee rub.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Bash
    Bash Posts: 1,011
    Options
    I'm not sure how they do it, but hands down the best turkey I have ever had is the Greenberg Smoked Turkey. Very nice smoke flavor. I would love to be able to reproduce that.

4a204082.jpg