Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

digi q calibration

otisdog
otisdog Posts: 187
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've had a couple of butts in all night and I've got some pretty large variations on my temp readouts. The mavrick (using it to moniter from the bedroom) is reading 10 to 15 degrees hotter than the digi q. Pit. Just to make it interesting the dome therm is about 10 degrees off from that. Now I know about calibrating the stock therm. Do you have to or is there a way to calibrate the digi q or mavrick?

Thanks

Comments

• Good question. I've wondered the same before, but I'm pretty sure there is no user calibration. I always go with my digi and have never had problems. You do know you can boil water and check all three probes right? That will tll you which one is right. I'd put my money on the Guru.
  • otisdog,
    I'm in no way an expert, but I would not worry about it.
    I don't have a digi q and if one was off 5 degrees up and the other off 5 degrees down that could be the difference. If I’m 25 degrees off I don't worry about it at all.
    Just my two cents worth.
    Jupiter Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• otisdog
    Thanks for the reply. I'm in Decatur
  • otisdog wrote:
    I've had a couple of butts in all night and I've got some pretty large variations on my temp readouts. The Maverick (using it to monitor from the bedroom) is reading 10 to 15 degrees hotter than the digi q. Pit. Just to make it interesting the dome therm is about 10 degrees off from that. Now I know about calibrating the stock therm. Do you have to or is there a way to calibrate the digi q or Maverick?

Thanks

Good morning Ed. :) There is no way to calibrate your Maverick so what I do is use it as a guide to get you close then I would use my Thermapen as the final say. I have a CyberQ II and I can adjust the read out but I don't know about the digi q. What I have done in the past is get a pot of water to boiling and check and adjust my dome probe and while I was at it I would check my Maverick and make a mental note as to what temperature it reads out while in a pot of boiling water and you can use it as a gage. Again while I was at it I would also check what my Digi Q was reading out. Depending on where your pit probes are located you will get some variations. Your butt cook is a very forgiving cook. I say get you butts to 195-205 degrees with the digi q and you know the rest. ;) Tim
  • otisdog
    Thanks for the reply. I guess I just need to check them and see how close they are.
  • Hey otisdog

THIS LINK is to the complete manual for the DigiQ on the Guru site. Download and print it out because it is much more complete then what comes with the unit. It has complete instructions on calibrating the unit. Calibrate everything at the same time to the same source of hot water so in theory they should all match up. If you have a Thermopen use it to calibrate everything else to as it should be the most accurate to start with and be warned that hot water looses temperature very fast. In an ideal world everything should be calibrated simultaneously in the same hot and cold water so they have an identical reference. LOL, we do not live in an ideal world. ;)

Have a great Labor Day weekend,

Blair
  • Excellent post, GB. I was going to say that, with digital thermos like the Maverick and DigiQ, you can do a multi-point calibration...and here I see they dom indeed use that. It's important to establish that 32*F point before the 212*F point to get an accurate, linear response.
  • Great post Gator! Thanks man. I will be doing mine sometime this week.