Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question re: Eldar Wards Fire Building Technique

Options
Topo Gigio
Topo Gigio Posts: 98
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi All, I need clarification on building an Elder Ward fire. In his instruction he states:[p]...
Largest piece dead centre "Place remaining large pieces like a jigsaw puzzle until it appears as even as you can make it with the large pieces. Next, fill in as many holes and cracks with medium pieces until it looks as even as you can make it. Then, using the smallest pieces, fill in more of the area. Last, take all that dust, for lack of a better term, and level out your bed of coals ... Fill to the top of the fire box, but not above."[p]
Does this mean that there will be a bottom layer of lump that will consist of large, medium and small pieces? Then you start on the second layer of lump with large pieces again, medium then small. Then another layer large, medium, small etc. until you reach the top of the fire box.[p]or[p]Does it mean that there is a bottom layer of large lump, a middle layer of medium lump and a top layer of small pieces and dust, with those 3 layers reaching the top of the fire box.[p]Thanks in advance

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Topo Gigio,
    the three layers will blend from one to the next, the medium nestling down into the large stuff...[p]don't sweat it, though, the idea is airflow, and allowing ash to settle through.[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Topo Gigio
    Options
    stike, thanks. I guess I'm wondering if small pieces should be sitting on the grate between the large and medium?

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Topo Gigio,
    well...
    the very basic intent behind the elder ward method is to build a 'considered' fire. rather than dump it out of the bag.[p]i don't think it makes a difference to think that much about it.[p]i honestly don't know whether i've consciously put the medium/small stuff in between.[p]basically, if you start from big to small, whether or not you intermingle, you'll STILL have good air flow.[p]i would have no issue putting medium stuff in between bigger stuff.[p]essentially, just make sure you are bridging the layer below enough. that makes pcokets for the air to move up thru, and it also permits the fire to go from piece to piece (of lump).[p]i have done successful overnights in a blinding snowstorm just dumping from a bag of cheap, bad lump. so whatever you are doing is decidely better.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • MR H
    MR H Posts: 109
    Options
    stike,
    I just did a long cook,26.5 hrs.All I did was clean my fire box,dumpted the Wicked Good out of the bag,stuck the electric starter in the middle of charcoal pile. 15 minutes later turned on the Guru ,put the 2 butts in grill closed lid and went to bed.Four oclock am got up and went fishing and the dome temp read 250,.20 hrs later dome read 250. 6hrs later the meat temp was 178. Took butts out and wrapped them in foil and stored them in cooler untill lunch time.
    With the BGE and the Guru I have never had a bad cook
    Maybe I'm lazy but I don't spend much time on the placement of charcoal. It might BITE me some time but Asi la Vida[p]Cheers
    Howard in Bartow