Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Cook

EggcitedinNJ
EggcitedinNJ Posts: 91
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I got my LBGE on Tuesday, but couldn't cook on it that night due to a family wake. The next day was the funeral and we didn't get home until late. Today is another scorcher of a day, around 95, and who wants to play around with hot charcoal in such conditions. Me!
So I did.

My fire lighting skills need some improvement, but I managed and was eventually able to stabilize the egg at 300. Chicken thighs with Dizzy Pig Dust, a couple of cherrywood chunks, indirect for 1:45.

Since it's so bloody hot out I'm going to be serving them at room temperature later today.

So it begins.

_MG_8491.jpg

Comments

• LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    two words... yum-my!
    context is important :)
  • So it begins...Eggactly....soooo, when does your second Egg arrive. ;)
    Nice job BTW.
  • Nice looking chicken. Great first cook :)
  • Thanks. I was a little concerned at first when I couldn't get the temperature up to 300 and hold it steady, but I thought back to all that I have read here and figured that I must have not properly started the fire. So I took out the grate, drip pan, and place setter and lo and behold only one of my 3 starting points was properly heated. I made the necessary adjustments and was then good to go.

I was going to serve the thighs whole at room temperature, but my son suggested I make a chicken salad. As I was cutting up the thighs he wandered into the kitchen and "stole" a piece of meat and immediately went wild. I kid you not, he said, "This is the moistest chicken you've ever made." For anyone who has or has had teenagers, you know how hard it is to get reactions like that from a fifteen year old boy. :laugh: While his statement may or may not be true, the chicken was cooked perfectly and I'm really looking forward to eating it tonight.

Grand Oeuf Vert, as for my second Egg, that may have to wait for a while. So far I've spent about $1000 on everything and have a few hundred dollars of "must haves" that will be coming very shortly. For now, I need to start ammortizing the cost of all this by cooking a lot of Egg meals; to date just on what I've spent so far each of those ten thighs cost me $100. Good thing I got them on sale for 89 cents a pound.
  • Really nice color on those things!! Your doing great. Always tell new folks not to get to hung up on having the temp exact and stable. Course the more stable and correct the better but all ways remember this is basically a fire in the bottom of a big flower pot!!LOL Food temp and or developing a "feel" for the firmness and texture of the food product being cooked to know when it is done but not over cooked is much more important IMO.
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Those look perfect. My only suggestion would be several cold adult beverages during the cook. ;)
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • Great looking chickie thighs. :P Realize it or not you are on your way to some mighty fine fixens from here on out. :woohoo:

We had left over leg quarters cut up into chick salad for an afternoon sammich. yum yum Tim
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Great looking cook and welcome to the madness.I have teenagers at my house all the time and the cost savings and the quality are no comparison. Have fun!!

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • EggcitedinNJ, welcome to the forum! Nice chicken thighs. :) I know what you mean about this heat.
  • As an Irish friend of mine would say, Gerjus. Beautiful first cook. You will always remember that initial reaction. Many more to come.

Smokin'Stogies in Exton, Pa with my wife and our four dogs; Sully and Boo the Newfoundlands, Murphy the Irish Setter and Alli the Beagle/Lab mix. 

Eggers Prayer-

Our egg, which art in sizes, hallowed be thy smoke, thy will be grilled, at home as it is at eggfest. Give us this clay our daily brisket and forgive us our rubs, as we forgive those who gas grill against us, and lead us not to flashback but deliver us from overnighters. For thine is the grill, the smoke, the egg. Let's eat!

• Thanks everyone for your advice and support. I'm an experienced cook on a purely amateur level so I have that going for me, but I've never cooked on a a charcoal grill, let alone an Egg. Like anything I know I'll improve with eggperience.

And there was enough for lefotvers so somebody I know is going to have a tasty lunch tomrrow.
  • Along with getting a better understanding of my Egg, I need to do the same with how I respond to posts in tis forum.
  • My first large egg was 14 years ago and it is still cooking just perfectly. Ammortize that! And the fact that you will never have to buy another grill.

I also have a 15 year old son, and you are right - hard to get any reaction out of him. This is why I call him the disinterested teenager.

Good luck to you and enjoy your egg.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Got a chuckle from what you wrote about your son.