Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

EGGcellent Turkey

Options
Tractor
Tractor Posts: 288
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Two years ago I roasted our family's 1st BGE turkey. It turned out so amazing that it has now become tradition by request. I'm fairly sure I discovered the brine recipe I use here in the forum. It may have been a link to one someone recommended...I don't recall.[p]Anyway, I figured I'd share it since it produces such a wonderful bird and Thanksgiving is fast-approaching.[p]This should be fairly obvious to most everyone on here, but you want to start with a turkey that has not been injected with a solution. I bought an organic bird at Wild Oats. I don't think it was a heritage turkey, but it probably was less expensive than one of those and you wouldn't argue with the results : )[p]Brined Turkey a la John Ash[p]1 turkey, 12-16 pounds, rinsed thoroughly, giblets, tail, and
neck removed
2 Tablespoons olive oil or
melted butter[p]
Brine:
2 cups brown sugar
1 cup maple syrup
3/4 cup coarse salt
3 whole heads garlic, cloves separated, but not peeled, and bruised
6 large bay leaves
1-1/2 cups coarsely chopped unpeeled fresh ginger
2 teaspoons dried chile flakes
1-1/2 cups soy sauce
3 quarts water
Handful of fresh thyme sprigs[p]Combine all the brine ingredients in an enamel or stainless steel
pot. Bring to a boil, remove from heat and let cool completely. Rinse the turkey well, and put it in a large enamel, stainless steel or food-grade plastic pot or bucket. Cover with the cold brine and add more water if the brine doesn't cover the turkey. Put a plate on top of the turkey to hold it under the brine. [p]Refrigerate for 24-36 hours, turning the bird twice a day. (When you
turn the turkey be sure to empty the brine out of the body cavity
before you turn it or it splashes everywhere.)[p]To cook the turkey: Remove the bird from the brine and pat it dry.
Lightly brush it with olive oil or butter and set aside. [p]Prepare your egg for a 350 degree cook. Some apple or pecan wood is great on the fire...[p]

Comments

• Sandlapper
    Options
    Tractor,[p]This sounds great!!!...Last week I smoked a turkey breast in the BGE for about an hour and then finished it off in the turkey fryer for about 35 minutes...Man was it ever good. Have to love all these different ideas!!!

• tn slagamater
    Options
    Tractor,I just did a BIG bird using this recipe....it is courtesy of JULIE APPLEDOG, the WISCONSIN turkey CHAMPION using this recipe and shared by this great lady on the forum and at Eggtoberfest. IT IS FANTASTIC !! Smoked on the EGG, WOOOOWWW !!! Thanks, Julie !!

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    You are welcome, tn slagamater! I actually got the brine recipe from Cat, one of the forum "elders" in 2001. JCA [p]P.S. I live in Michigan.