Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My gift to you, because I'm such a nice guy....

Options
stike
stike Posts: 15,597
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
ok
not such a gift. but maybe a good tip[p]this came up in response to a lower post, and I thought I'd toss it out to the forumin general. It was actually the suggestion of a buddy of mine, fellow BGE owner, who frequents here, as a lurker.[p]Formerly, he and I had built our lo-and-slo fires using the elder ward method, which is probably still my preferred method for a good night's sleep.[p]but for some overnights, and especially shorter 5 to 6 rib cooks (when you are around and at least awake, if not sober), we've taken to a modified 'lump dump' method.[p]when building the fire, one of the first things we do is take a couple 6" or 8" long hardwood sticks (twigs) or splits from a log, put a few of these splits (3 at most) vertically in the middle of firebox, often standing in the holes of the fire grate even. so, before any lump goes in, you have two or three thin pieces of wood poking vertically up into the fire ring (but not higher than the grill level).[p]then (usually because it's raining or snowing) i'll just dump all the unsorted lump in and fill it around, mixing in wood chips and chunks throughout.[p]then when the lump is in, i'll grab the free end of the stick(s) (now just barely poking out of the top of the lump) and twist back and forth, to make a little air passage or chimney. no big effort, just enough to make sure air can get in freely. i don't usually pull out the wood, as the hole is now a bit bigger around than the stick.[p]what's more, since i'm feeling pretty confident that this allows plenty of air/draft in to the egg, i actually have felt more comfortable using smaller pieces and alot of the tailings from the bag of lump. the thinking there is that the smaller pieces ensure that the fire will bridge gaps, and spread around.[p]if i remember correctly, much of the rationale for using the big chunks in the elder ward method was to use them at the bottom, to facilitate getting air into the egg, and by gradually using smaller ansd smaller lump as you build the fire.[p]my thinking was that as long as i provide for airflow into the egg, that closely packed lump will be ok.[p]the operative reason is that in new england, you are often building what needs to be a careful fire in the middle of less than desirable weather. this method provides a 'hurry up' way of ensuring good air flow throughout the lump, while still being able to build the fire while naked under your wife's bathrobe in a blinding snowstorm with a beer in one hand as adam vinatieri is lining up for another last second field goal.[p]anyway. it's not my idea, so i can't take full credit...[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante

Comments

• stike,
    Has to be worth a try, thanks. Well written and appreciated post.

• eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Options
    stike,[p]nice tip, I been using cowboy lump that has a lotta samll stuff. I think you guys came up with a goodun. [p]Scott

• stike
    Options
    eggor,
    yeah
    i often keep the junk and tailings for using up in a lo-and-slo, and for mixing in cowboy lump (which i can sometimes get for $3 a bag).[p]but i base the fire on Royal Oak

• stike,[p]EXCELLENT idea Stike, I understand your concept completely, but now you have me thinking. Wouldn’t it be a good idea to take your idea/concept to the next level and permanently pre-configure some "coat hanger wire" such that it is LOOSELY looped around any two fire ring holes on one end but the wire is bent such that the other end is above the grill, out of the cooking area, such that it can be reached? My thinking is you could grab the top end of the wire, above the cooking level, and “jiggled" when needed! Surely this would increase the temperature for the high-end cooks which need LOTS of oxygen as well as to insure that low and slows’ have constant oxygen. [p]Marty

• eggor
    Options
    LAD,[p]that would be an inverted wiggle rod. burned the bejeezes out of my fingers just the other day... still have the blistr

• Sandlapper
    Options
    eggor,[p]Try the new Neosporin burn bandages....they are great!!

• stike
    Options
    eggor,
    yep
    some geenyass on this forum bent a wire coathanger into a rod that does all sortsa magic things, not the least of which is reaches reaches UP through the cast-iron fire grate and stirs things up just when needed, without having to open the egg.[p][p]

• OK u smarties maybe that is why there is a hook at the end of the ash removal tool. Maybe, just maybe, the hook is intended to be looped around two fire ring holes so that you can shake the fire ring. Think about it! I've never tried it I'm just thinking out loud. [p]Marty
  • eggor
    Options
    LAD,[p]me a smartee, ha king of tha one liners. but you got me a thinkin. now if you take stike's idea, combine it with the inverted wiggle rod, and make it hollow sorta like maybe a 3/4 inch diameter and 6 inches long, drill a bunch o holes and shove 3 or 4 down thru the bottom grid, maybe cut the pipe so that there is a real large area open so that air can get into the tube even if there is a lotta ashon the bottom.....

• BRILLIANCE! THAT'S ALL I CAN SAY. SHEER UNADULTERATED BRILLIANCE!
  • jwitheld
    jwitheld Posts: 284
    Options
    Sandlapper,
    after working around bpoilers and steam plants for the last 30 years i have learned a few things about burns.
    they hurt
    they happen
    sometimes i forget
    people do dumb things
    5% silvadine is the best thing for a burn (after cooling it down)
    practically any pharmasist will prescibe it for you unless you are severly burned.
    make a handle for that hanger to prevent the "sometimes i forget"
    hmmm how about a nice mesquite handle with your name on it?

• Sandlapper
    Options
    jwitheld,[p]Yes they do hurt. I got torched on my outdoor fireplace last week while watching the Redskins finally score a touchdown. My Mom had some of the silvadine cream so I applied and then used the Neosporin burn patches. Virtually, no scar or reminder other than the proverbial "do not stick your hand in the fire twice."

• Eggsellent
    Options
    stike,
    Sounds like the LawnRanger needs to invent a new coat hanger-like tool. We also use the coat hanger approach of poking up through the grid. Works pretty good, but a new tool sounds better.

• stike
    Options
    eggor,
    you know, call me crazy...
    but if you attached that hollow tube,(with holes drilled into it) to a propane tank, and then turned on the tank so the propane came out the holes....[p]then LIT the propane, you could probably cook all your food without even needing lump![p](...and, OT: LAD seemed worried in a private email that I may have been p!ssed off by his/her/their post.... i was not. let's just say that it takes A LOT to p!ss me off. and even then, i'm soothed quickly by promises of alcohol and good food and better conversation)

• stike
    Options
    Eggsellent,
    news tools always seem like a good idea, but i'm gonna stick with mine. it's lasted me this long...[p]