Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

JB Weld Question

Options
Gandolf
Gandolf Posts: 906
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have read a couple of responses to other questions here stating that JB Weld will not work on firebox, dome, etc. because it is only rated to 500 continuous and 600 intermittent. But after searching, I have also read a number of posts saying that it works just fine on those applications. I'm asking because I just used it to put my Medium firebox back together and wonder if I can expect it to hold?? Thanks

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I have used it on my large firebox for 3 years and it holds very well. Also I redid an Imperial Kamado last year that had the old kiln fired firebox and it holds just fine. The Imperial never gets above 400F so am not sure how hot the temps are in the box.
    Used it on a cracked fire grate a few years back on my large and it also held for 2 years and then I just bought a metal grate to replace it.
  • Gandolf
    Options
    Thanks, Richard.
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    I have glued my firebox together three times with JB Weld. It normally stays together for a couple of cooks then re-breaks where it was previously glued. In fact after awhile, there is little evidence it was ever glued at all. Now I just leave the broken pieces in place and cook away.
  • it is recommended by BGE HQ, fwiw.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Has anyone ever used any of the Rutland products? 2000°, apparently. No clue about food safety, but then, I don't know about the safety of JB Weld either.

http://www.rutland.com/category.php?category_id=5

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    It does not work that well on fireboxes since they get so hot. Mine failed after three cooks, did it again and failed again. Heck, it's covered under warranty so I just went down and got another for free.

However it is working on my broken leg on the plate setter.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    I have to wonder about those reports of failure. I mean my small firebox was in three pieces and I spread and buttered the JB on all edges and then clamped it together securely. That was 2 years ago and it is still in one piece after numerous 700° uses.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Hi Gandolf

The 500º/600º limitations and that it is non toxic I posted last night are from the JB Weld package and are the company specs on it. That is not to say that it may or may not hold under any circumstances. The mother ship does recommend it as it is a great product and is non toxic. Give it a try, if it holds up to the temperatures you cook at your good to go, if not you may need to find something else.

I have this link in my Favorites Resbond™ 907GF Adhesive & Sealant but have yet to try it. This stuff is rated to 2350°F continuous/ 3000°F maximum use temp!!! You could cook pizzas at 1000º to your hearts content with this stuff. I would call the company and talk to them about the application and find out where it is sold.

JB Weld is a great product, I repaired the radiator in my car last week with it and saved myself a fortune but like everything it has it's limitations so don't be surprised if it fails when you exceed them.

Good luck and if you should try the Resbond™ 907GF Adhesive & Sealant let us know how it goes.

Blair
  • Gandolf
    Options
    I didn't do nearly as good a job as RRP, but it seems like a strong bond. Buttered, pressed together and walked away :) We'll see. It is under warranty, so if all else fails, it'll be replacement time.