Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Table In Progress - Staining Question

Options
OMG Eggs
OMG Eggs Posts: 118
edited November -1 in EGG Table Forum
Hi Everybody - I'm working on a new egg table and have a question - Should I stain before assembly or after assembly?

Here's a few in process picks of the bottom base (it's laying on the top base). I made some slight adjustments to the the naked whiz plans and have used double pined dowels and nails rather than screws. Yes, I know I need to cut holes for the legs ;).

The legs are 4x4s and I'm still looking around for casters. I'm also still hunting for a table top... it will be some type of solid surface.

IMG_0518.jpg

IMG_0519.jpg

Comments

• ledmond
    ledmond Posts: 88
    Options
    You should probably plan on both. One coat in pieces and another assembled which will catch all nicks, drills, recuts, edges, etc. Plus you can stain (and seal) butt end cuts which is probably the most important. This is where wood absorbs the most moisture, like a straw or wick, if you will.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    It is much easier to stain and varnish or seal prior to assembly and you will get a much better finish.
    You don't have to stain at all unless you just prefer a different color/tone to your table.
    I like to finish with Min-Wax Urathane spar varnish in satin, but that is just my taste :)

4835836280_6617045f70.jpg
    P4060004 by

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL