Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st Try-Gluten Free Pizza

Options
Boss Hogg
Boss Hogg Posts: 1,377
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After years of stomach problems, about 6 months ago my daughter was diagnosed with Celiacs disease, which is an intolerance to gluten from wheat products. There's a big learning curve not only to figuring out what's safe to eat, but what products taste okay and how to prepare them. My daughter always loved the pizza I made on the Egg, so after months of trying differnt brands of gluten free flour, we found a brand that had a decent flavor in muffins, bread, cookies, etc. Tonight I decided to try a gluten free pizza on the Egg. I followed the "Perfect Pizza Dough" recipe in the forum cookbook.The gluten free dough didn't rise as much as normal dough, and there was no stretch to the dough when shaping the pie. Pretty much pressed and squished it into a round shape. It did taste pretty good though. :)

Here's the flour
BigGreeneggPhotos329.jpg
She just wanted a plain cheese pizza
BigGreeneggPhotos330.jpg
BigGreeneggPhotos331.jpg
At 550*, it took about 8 minutes to cook as compared to about 10 minutes for regular dough pizza. The first pie caught me by surprise how fast it cooked. The second I got before the cheese started to brown. Also, the crust doesn't really turn brown-it just kind of dries out.
BigGreeneggPhotos332.jpg
The second pie
BigGreeneggPhotos338.jpg
BigGreeneggPhotos339.jpg
Some regular dough pies I made (with gluten)
BigGreeneggPhotos333.jpg
BigGreeneggPhotos335.jpg
BigGreeneggPhotos336.jpg
BigGreeneggPhotos337.jpg
Thanks for looking!
Brian

Comments

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Brian: Great job man! I have had to do a lot of gluten free cooking on the job, and I can honestly say, I didn't think a gluten free pizza could even be considered! Thanks for proving otherwise! :) :laugh: Did you still add yeast and such? Really curious...did you simply substitute the gluten free flour for regular, and left the rest of the recipe the same? What did you use as a binder?
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

They all look pretty good from this side of the screen. The proof is in the taste.

Hope your daughter liked the pie you made for her.

GG
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    All the pizza's look great! (a little work on smoothing out the edges is needed Dad)he he. Well it's good that your daughter has found what the problem is and now it's just a matter of adjustment and some changes, all do-able.
    A little egg white wash might color up the dough on edges, just thinking.
    Nice work Brian, your a good Dad. :)
  • Boss Hogg
    Options
    LC-Correct. All I did was substitute the gluten free flour. Kept the rest of the recipe the same. No egg binder (I didn't know you could do that , and wouldn't know how, anyway! Like I told you, every cooks an adventure!)
    BC
  • Boss Hogg
    Options
    Kent-My daughter almost never gets pizza anymore, unless she can find an Italian restaurant with a gluten free menu. I made 2 pies for her, so she's planning to have warmed up pizza all week!!
    Brian
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Brian: I actually mis-spoke, and edited my post quickly as soon as it registered that it was celiac. Eggs are a gamble for sufferers of celiacs because so many hens are fed grains. Free range eggs are more permissable, but you should be careful with eggs to see if it causes an issue. They are tollerated by some, but not all. My bad. Should have been more specific earlier. Also very sorry to hear of her plight...celiacs sucks! :angry:
  • Boss Hogg
    Options
    LC-Eggs aren't a problem for her. It is amazing how well she's doing now. Before being diagnosed, she used to have to take a perscription strength Pepcid AC before every meal. Now she hardly ever has to use it. Between finding some good gluten free recipes and finding a few restaurants with sizeable gluten free menus, she's back to being a happy princess. :P
    Brian
  • Boss Hogg
    Options
    Clay-that gluten free dough has no stickiness to it. I tried to fix the edges, but I couldn't. Truth be told....that's why I put up the pics of the other pizzas...so everyone could see that not all of my pizzas looked so homely. :laugh:
    Brian
  • egginator
    egginator Posts: 569
    Options
    My wife and son are gluten free. I've used the king arthur pizza mix with good results. I use parchment paper and then pre-cook the crust about half way. The half cooked crust will freeze nicely. The left over pizza does not seem to hold up as well. I highly recommend the king arthur bread mix. I've tried a lot of them and this one is pretty good. We pretty much make a loaf every Sunday. What doesn't become sandwiches during the week becomes french toast Saturday morning.

As far as eating out, BJ's pub makes a gluten free pizza and PF change's has a great GF menu. Outback has a pretty good menu too.

Rice crispy treats are GF.

Coking GF can be challenging. e-mail me if you want to trade ideas. I've been doing this for 4 years now, but it's still a challenge.

Ed
  • Woodbutcher
    Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
    Options
    You're a very thoughtful Dad Brian. We'll do almost anything for our little girls. :)

I read that the Dip's have a really good team this year. Is your son playing?
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    looks great Brian! do you know about Tablespoon? they have some nice desserts for gluten free. had to do a few for some of our guests at the studio a while back and everyone liked them. did not even know they were gluten free. just the one lady so she knew what she could have.
    http://www.tablespoon.com/recipe-collections/gluten-free-goodies/
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

"so she's planning to have warmed up pizza all week!! "

Now that's a pizza lover. I am with her. Pizza hot or cold it's great eats.

Kent
  • Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    Options
    I'll second the King Arthur bread mix - best GF bread mix I've found so far.

I've given up on making pizza crusts with GF flour. Sometimes I just buy the ones from Udi's (http://udisglutenfree.com/). You can't tell that they're GF.

I've had good luck with polenta crust and cheese crust pizzas.

Congrats to you for going to the effort. If you're still also cooking with wheat flour it must be hard not to cross contaminate. We even had to throw out some old baking pans because every time we used them I got sick. It's just the two of us, so when I went GF so did my dear wife. She gets her gluten fix when we eat out :).
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • Boss Hogg
    Options
    Dale- He decided not to pay this year. :( But, he's in the football frat :woohoo:
  • Boss Hogg
    Options
    Julie, Thanks for the link. Copied it and forwarded it to wifey and the princess!
  • Boss Hogg
    Options
    Davekatz, Thanks for the info. We're early into the learning curve. ;)
    Brian
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    McDaniel Green Terror rule....beat the Dips.... ;):) :laugh: