Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with stoker wireless set-up

egginator
egginator Posts: 569
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just got a new stoker from my wife for my birthday. Yes, she is awesome! So now I am looking for a wireless access point. Anyone have any recommendations as far as how to set this thing up? I was thinking I needed to buy this guy to get internet out to my patio. http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-WL-330gE-Portable-functions-Universal/dp/B0014L4ZKK/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1283098796&sr=8-11

Thanks,

Ed

Comments

• That will work - you would use the "Bridge Mode" of the device when you configure it. I personally like an external antenna. I used a netgear one with an internal antenna and it had some range problems. Latest one I'm using is a EnGenius and has really good range.

ENGENIUS TECHNOLOGIES ERB9250
  • You are going to love your Stoker with the wireless setup

I have had mine for two years and now, would not be without it.

You might give Kenny a call at Rocks BBQ tomorrow and ask him for a recommendation

The one I use is a Mac wireless router but I know you can get another type for less money

Also make sure you have the latest firmware...this can be downloaded from the internet

I will be cooking pork butts tomorrow night and with the new firmware, I can post the internet access so anyone can view the progress live on my Stoker status....
  • BobinFla
    BobinFla Posts: 363
    egginator wrote:
    IAnyone have any recommendations as far as how to set this thing up?
    Ed
    Complete with videos.
    http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9270072103/m/568109054

I am sure that you will be able to make the conversion to the Egg :silly:

BOB
  • If you get somethng that can be flashed to run dd-wrt it gives you many options to tweak. Things like signal strength, and extra channels can make life much easier if you have a difficult wireless set-up.

Personally I like the EnGenius amd Linksys stuff. Buffalo wireless gets good reviews on many forums.

When I get my Stoker I plan on just running a cable to it. I don't think I need one but it sure speaks to my inner geek!

Are there ever any group buys or sales on those things?
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

The DD-WRT is a very good option and there are a lot of routers out there for $15 - $25 which will accept the firmware change.

GG
  • chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    I have the Digi-QII and love it. However, I wish it had wireless capabilities. I knew it didn't when I bought it, but now I wish I thought about it more before buying it. The Digi hasn't never let me down(it is really nice unit and I highly recommend it), but now I'm thinking of selling it to a friend (who wants one for his Weber) and getting the Stoker. I have never seen the Stoker on sale and never heard about a group buy. I plan on buying one in the next few weeks(most likely--still debating it) and if you find it discounted or someone doing a group buy let me know. I will do the same for you.
  • BBQbadge
    BBQbadge Posts: 35
    I use this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156258

picked it up for $29.99 a month back on sale.

One thing I had to do was update my stoker firmware to allow me to setup the proper gateway so I could use port forwarding from my router to access the stoker settings via my phone. I love it that I can view the status and change the temps via my phone's web browser! Also, the twitter setup is great to, to get periodic "tweets" as to the temp of the pit/food probes.