Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ANOTHER babback question, I know,

Steelers252006
Steelers252006 Posts: 115
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
but I'm reading about all these different methods and have questions. It seems 3-1-1 first of all is for spare ribs, not really babybacks. Can you effectively do 3-1-1 with babybacks at 250?

What if you did the entire cook over heavy duty aluminum, which is put over the grates with some apple juice on it, thus creaing a steaming effect? How long on 250 then? My brother is coming in town, and this is only my second go at smoking babybacks. Who better to ask than the most passionate coking forum in the world? :)

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Steelers252006,

Never being good at arithmetic, I use the 6 method. 6 hours at 250 with good results.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Steelers: Why would you want to steam your ribs when you have the most efficient cooker for smoking them? About 5 hours indirect, 250* dome. Search the forum...Car Wash Mikes method has been successful for MANY here. Easy stuff! Don't overthink. :)
  • LFGEnergy
    LFGEnergy Posts: 618
    I think you are more likely to mess up ribs trying to foil (1 hour? 2 hours?) than just going 240-250 for 5.5 to 6 hours (or until you hit the texture you are looking for, more appropriately). Over foiled ribs are terrible, and an hour is in MHO about 45 minutes too long :unsure: . I have found the less I open the top, the better my cook. Get your temp stabilized, throw on ribs, and MAKE yourself walk away for the first 3 hours (except tending temp). Then I spray with apple juice apple cider vinager every 45 minutes until I hit the 5.5 to 6 hour time. Again, my best cooks are the ones I dont bother the ribs to death. Besides, 5 hours is plenty of time to have a "lubicated" eating audience :lol::whistle: !

Have Fun!

Dave in Keller, Texas
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Agreed 100%!!!! Nothing IMO worse than foiled ribs. Mushy, mushy. :sick:
  • LOL, LGF Energy, very good response. :laugh:

I agree with everyone, no need to foil this go around. What about a drip pan with liquid in it? Another unnecessary tool at this point as well?
  • LFGEnergy
    LFGEnergy Posts: 618
    I personally do not use liquid in the drip pan, but I am liberal when I start spritzing, so some is running off and then evaporating from drip pan.

However, since you asked will share one other little trick I have found that I really like. Our local uncooked pizza place (Pappa Murphy's) sells foil pizza pans cheap that fit nice inside the egg. I use these (over my platesetter), under my wire rack) and then can dispose of the drip pan rather than having to clean. Cheap, and I buy 10 or so and throw in garage until needed.

Good luck!

Dave in Keller, Texas
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    DSC02457aa.jpg

I'm seeing at least three good things in your post.... First, you are doing some reading to gather some background on cooking ribs. Second, you are asking good questions. And third, I think you realize that what you like might not be exactly what someone else likes...

Cooking ribs by the "numbers" is an easy way of keeping track of the three (or sometimes only two) steps used in this method. The problem is, everyone has their own set of numbers. Actually, you will see 3-2-1 mentioned when cooking full slabs of spare ribs since they might be five or six pounds. 3-1-1 might be more appropriate if the slabs are trimmed into a St. Louis rack, and you can cook loin ribs with a 3-1-1 method, but you run the risk of cooking the ribs too tender. But you might like them that way.

Now, I'm guessing your foil question is asking about making a "boat" for your ribs? This is an effective method for keeping them moist and tender as the boat does catch your mop and will hold some of the natural drippings too. The effect of any steaming is much lighter than when using a foil pouch, which is attractive to a lot of folks. Wait at least two or three hours into the cook before placing them in a boat. (And if you don't want to tell anyone you used foil don't. Hehehee).
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery