Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

what's your favorite boston butt rub?

Options
cobrastrike
cobrastrike Posts: 28
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all,
I'm going to do a BB this weekend and was thinking of trying a different rub. I usually use the 'Slap yo mama butt rub' recipe but I've run out and thought this might be a good time to experiment. Do you usually use a store bought rub or is there a recipe that you're partial to? Thanks!

Comments

• hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
    I use Dizzy Dust coarse grind. Great stuff! I'll be doing a couple of butts tomorrow. I'm going to inject them with Fab P that I got from Fred Bernardo. He has an excellent Pork Butt video on his site.
  • RS
    RS Posts: 5
    Options
    Try Bad Byron's Butt Rub. Good web site, too.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Only one I've ever used on a butt...

1 tablespoon salt
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1 tablespoon brown sugar
    1 tablespoon ground cumin
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    1 tablespoon cracked black pepper
    1 tablespoon paprika
    1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Frank from Houma
    Options
    Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust or Bad Byron's Butt Rub
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    The Loveless' Cafe Rub. The best in my opinion!!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • SmokinJ
    SmokinJ Posts: 220
    Options
    I use Dizzy and Texasbbqrubs.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    I actually like a blend from a local guy here in STL, Uncle Bob's Butt Rub. He's got a nice product. After that, I'm big on Dizzy Pig's Dizzy Dust.
  • troutman
    troutman Posts: 498
    Options
    John Henry's Pecan Rub.

Nuff said.
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Options
    I slather on yellow mustard - then liberally coat with Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust....it's good stuff.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Michael that is about the same that I use. I also add some garlic powder(t) and another certain ingredient.
  • snake701uk
    snake701uk Posts: 187
    Options
    Interesting how many references to Dizzy Pig rubs on this site and others. I live in Italy so mostly make my own and would add mustard powder to some of the above and cumin never hurts. Next time I am in US will buy some DP to try. Andy
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Options
    DP Redeye Express. Smoked with a couple chunks of Guava wood.
  • Cecil
    Cecil Posts: 771
    Options
    I live a few miles from the Loveless and did not know they make a rub. I will have to check it out.

Walt
  • Buxwheat
    Buxwheat Posts: 727
    Options
    Good stuff. Careful, it can be a little warm.

2 tablespoons Kosher Salt
    2 tablespoons Sugar in the Raw
    2 tablespoons Brown Sugar
    2 tablespoons Ground Cumin Seed
    2 tablespoons Chili Powder
    2 tablespoons Cracked Black Pepper
    1 tablespoon Cayenne Pepper
    4 tablespoons Hungarian Paprika
    2 tablespoons Ground Sage
    Source: Elder Ward
  • Smokin' Stogies
    Options
    TaxasBBQRub or Guys BBQ Rub, Houston.

Smokin'Stogies in Exton, Pa with my wife and our four dogs; Sully and Boo the Newfoundlands, Murphy the Irish Setter and Alli the Beagle/Lab mix. 

Eggers Prayer-

Our egg, which art in sizes, hallowed be thy smoke, thy will be grilled, at home as it is at eggfest. Give us this clay our daily brisket and forgive us our rubs, as we forgive those who gas grill against us, and lead us not to flashback but deliver us from overnighters. For thine is the grill, the smoke, the egg. Let's eat!

• Photoman
    Photoman Posts: 18
    Options
    My favorite is Wild Willies Number Wonderful

3/4 cup paprika
    1/4 cup ground black pepper
    1/4 cup salt
    1/4 cup sugar
    2 tablespoons chili powder
    2 tablespoons garlic powder
    2 tablespoons onion powder
    2 teaspoons cayenne

Great on everything!
  • highpress
    highpress Posts: 694
    Options
    Then Dizzy Dust.
  • Denbbq
    Denbbq Posts: 84
    Options
    Dr BBQ's Big Time Barbecue Rub from his book
  • egger66
    egger66 Posts: 385
    Options
    Dizzy Dust Coarse....really good stuff!
  • cobrastrike
    Options
    thanks for all the replies everyone. It's been a busy 2 nights and I don't have time to get supplies for what I'm missing for all of the recipes. I've got a bottle of Dizzy Dust (regular grind though) that I've never used, so based on the number of replies for this one, I'll give it a whirl. Butts go on at 7- can't wait!!