Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Death by Garlic Help!

Mflyer
Mflyer Posts: 59
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I cooked a beer can chicken the other day using the "Death by Garlic" recipe as my main seasoning. I tried grinding all the ingredients as suggested, but while cooking the minced garlic produced a terrible smell. Even when the chicken was done it had an awful smell. I am assuming the minced garlic is burning and producing this smell! Any suggestions on how to cook without burning the minced garlic?!?

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Mflyer,

Was it the storebought stuff? You can always substitute roasted garlic later in a recipe.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mflyer
    Mflyer Posts: 59
    No, I used the recipe off of the forum! Just search for Death by Garlic...
  • Little Steven
    I couldn't search it. I meant the garlic itself, was it minced garlic from a jar?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    This is Ronnie's recipe. When I make it I have to be sure the garlic is very dry or it clogs up my coffee grinder. Garlic granules work also.

Seasoning, Death By Garlic, "The Resurrection" She's back and She's Smokin HOT, MilesofSmiles

The original is from A Taste of Gormet by Marti Raif. I had some communitation with them and spun my version.

INGREDIENTS:
    1. Minced garlic the main ingredient.
    2. Minced onion.
    3. Garlic powder.
    4. Parsley.
    1 Cup Ground parsley flakes to a fine powder. Parsley is costley. Checks Costco, Sams etc.
    2 Cups minced garlic.
    1 Cup garlic powder. Least important ingredient.
    1 1/2 Cups Minced onion.
    Optional stuff to make Her Smokin Hot.
    4 Tbs Chipotle chili powder.
    1 Tbs Cayenne powder.
    Add more or less to your taste. NO salt, lest you want it.

PROCEDURE:
    1 Ground one cup at a time. Out side if you can. It will smell up your home for awhile if done inside. I know.
    2 Thanks for all of you who have requested the recipe. Long time coming. Ronnie. aka milesofsmiles. Enjoy. You will soon find out why Garlic is called The Stinking Rose.
    3 All this is made from dehydrated stuff.

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, MilesofSmiles, 2010/04/18
  • Little Steven
    Richard,

Doh,Dehydrated minced garlic. How ya doing anyway? You never call me anymore :(

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• milesofsmiles
    milesofsmiles Posts: 1,377
    Thanks a heap Richard, thats how its done. Cept do it outside due to the cloud of odorific aroma. I love the add more HEAT or not. More heat means She's Smokin Hot. :cheer: :cheer: Ronnie out.