Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How much wood and how often?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Will be starting an 8 lb brisket tonight or in the morning. How often should I be placing wood chunks on the fire? Should I load it up with 6 or so chunks at the start and just let it go or periodicaly add wood? I plan on cooking between 250 and 300. I plan on using Oak and maybe a bit of Hicory.

Comments

• bk,
    I would load the fire box all the way up, get the heat like you want it and let it go. You will not have to add any additional wood. If you are going to add chips for the flavor, do it right before you put the meat on. Add a few large chunks around the edge of the fire and it will give you enough smoke for flavor. You don't want it to smoke the whole cooking time, as it might put too much flavor in the meat, sometimes making it bitter. [p]Jerry

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    bk,
    If you want more smoke later in the fire, just bury some chunks of wood down in the lump so that they smoke later on...[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz