Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need tips for cold climate low n' slow

Options
Topo Gigio
Topo Gigio Posts: 98
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi All, I have 1 - 8 pound and 1 - 10 pound butt both going on the egg tonight. Its predicted to be a low of 7 degrees Celcius (45 Farenheit) overnight tonight. This is my first Fall/Winter with the egg. I've done 2 overnighters this past summer with good results and with constant temperatures following Elder's fire building techniques. I'm expecting to burn a little more lump than usual because of the cold weather. I am planning to get as much lump in as possible. Planning 18-20 hour cook. I hope to have enough lump with 1 filling. Anyone have any experience with 20 hours in the cold. Will 1 load last? Also, will the vents have to be opened more than usual?[p]Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Options
    Topo Gigio,
    If you've done all nighters before, 45° shouldn't have any effect on the one you are planning for tonite. I would use the same amount of lump you are used to using.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    Topo Gigio, i find it easier to hold low temps in the winter, in fact if you like jerky it is the only time i can hold temps as low as 150 F with only one egg. at 45 degrees start with your draft door open as usual. when it gets really cold you will have to close it down to almost nothing
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Topo Gigio,
    no difference...
    just go ahead and do it as you usually do

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Mike in MN
    Options
    Topo Gigio,
    45° is nothing.....You won't notice any change, neither will Mr. Egg.[p]We use our egg all year...including winter, and I just ignore the outside temp/wind...it really comes down to "What can the egger tolerate?" I've used it when the temps were below zero (F) and the wind was "whistling." That adds another dimension to the project...Wind chill for the egger.[p]Mike in MN (As in Minneeesoootah)