Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dome v Grill level temperature

Options
crmilt
crmilt Posts: 115
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a large egg. Is the dome temperature higher or lower than the grill level temperature? About how much?

Thx.
__________ Chris

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    If cooking direct then the grid temp is higher than dome temp. If indirect the the grid temp is lower than the dome temp.

The difference isn't linear or even relative or consistent. Direct will depend on how much lump is in the bowl and how strong the fire is burning. Indirect the temp can vary by 10-50 degrees, give or take, and the delta will typically decrease as cooking time increases.
  • crmilt
    crmilt Posts: 115
    Options
    Thx. I understand. Now next question. If cooking indirect and dome is 250 does it make a diffenece if I am using a V-rack or placing the meat directly on the grid? Obviously the meat on a V-rack is higher towards the dome thermometer than meat on the grid. Am I bing too picky?
    __________ Chris
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Yea, you're being too picky. It's not rocket surgery.

But the closer you get your meat to the dome in an indirect setup the more radiant and reflective heat you'll pick up from the dome.

Just set the dome for 250&deg and keep an eye on your meat temps. you'll be fine. Don't over think it all.