Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gluten Free BBQ Sauces

Options
EGGRPh
EGGRPh Posts: 180
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi Everyone,
My son and I have Celiac Disease (we can't have gluten).
I called Sticky Fingers and found out that all of their sauces are gluten free. Are there any others out there that you are aware of? Just thought I would ask. More and more people will have Celiac Disease and won't even know it. I thought you would like to know just in case for BBQ competitions.

Stef in Brunswick, Oh.

Comments

• TheDirtyBurger
    Options
    There is one I found at the store by me that is. It is 100% organic and gluten free. I will try to take a pic of it when I get home. If you email me it will happen faster. If you do email me type your w.hole email in the message because the forum only sends part of your email address to the recipient.

Plus you can always make your own!
  • EGGRPh
    Options
    Hi,

My e-mail is sberchert3@verizon.net. Thanks for the help. I'm so glad I have an egg and can still keep eggin' on.

Stef Berchert in Brunswick,Oh.
  • Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    Options
    Here are some sauces I've found that are gluten free. You might also watch out for high fructose corn syrup as HFCS can be problematic for some folks with Celiacs.

Sticky Pig says their sauces are gluten free, tasty too.

The Carnivore sauces aren't marketed as GF, but I've talked with the owner about them and they don't have anything in them that would be an issue. I've eaten them with no problem. Also good stuff.

Same with Blues Hog regular and Tennessee Red. They're not marked GF, but haven't caused any issues. Their mustard sauce is gluten free but contains high-fructose corn syrup.

I've not tried Maull's as their sauces are marked GF, but also (and very proudly) contain HFCS.

In most sauces the deal breaker is Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, or caramel color - all can contain gluten unless they tell you otherwise. When in doubt I usually shoot the manufacturer an email. Most of good to deal with, and ones who aren't... well, I just don't buy from folks who can't tell you what's in their product.
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • EGGRPh
    Options
    Thanks for the info. Really appreciate it. My son (8 yrs. old) loves ribs and wings and so do I.
  • Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    Options
    You're welcome. Same here on the ribs and wings.

BTW, Suck Creek Wing sauce is GF and rocks.
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • TheDirtyBurger
    Options
    With GF things I think you are better off safe than sorry. I have found when I cook for people that are gluten-haters that I will only use GF ingredients and it has to say GF. I will not assume it is GF.

I used to be vegan and I always wondered why the FDA does not mandate that things be labeled VEGAN, VEGETARIAN, GLUTEN FREE - even if it is not your market. So much stuff is vegan because its all chemicals. They do it with Kosher products, why not other things. It should not just be a marketing tool, people can get messed up from food allergies/abstentions.

Good luck with the sauce - remember good bbq doesn't need sauce!!!!!!!
    tim

2010-08-12160342.jpg
  • boston_stoker
    Options
    Hi!

My girlfriend has a similar condition. I made her this sauce. It is quite tasty!

http://eatingscd.com/2008/06/26/barbecue-sauce-2/

Good post, looks like I am going to have to go shopping.

Do you know about the Specific Carbohydrate Diet? If you are curious:http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info. It is really helping my girlfriend and another friend of mine. Unfortunately, it is quite restrictive, but you only have to do it for a year or so and then can slowly go back to a normal diet.