Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

first brisket

Options
smoker62
smoker62 Posts: 80
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I did a my first brisket , a 16 # untrimmed piece. Cooked at 225 grid for about 15 hours, pulled at 195 and seperated the point. Put the point back on for a couple more hours and foiled the flat into the cooler. The guests said it was the best brisket they ever had. But the point was so marbled with fat it was hard to eat. I chopped it a sauced it but the whole piece was just marbled with so much fat you had to pick and choose the pieces. I couldnt cut the fat because it was just through out the meat. Did I need to let it go for hours more to render the fat?

Comments

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    I trim a fair bit of fat from between the point and flat before cooking. That will help. When I cube it up I also remove large chunks of fat/connective tissue I come across then too. Hopefully one of our brisket experts will chime in with additional insight.
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    I think you got a cut of meat that was just "fatty"... Like children, each brisket seems to be different than the others...
    Kent Madison MS
  • asianflava
    asianflava Posts: 313
    Options
    I trim a lot of fat off prior to cooking. It some experimentng, the first one was untrimmed, then I removed more on the next one, then more till I found a happy spot.

I remove the hard fat, most of the fat from between the point and flat, and trim the fat cap down to a 1/8 - 1/4 in.
  • smoker62
    smoker62 Posts: 80
    Options
    I did trim most of the fat , leaving about a 1/4" on the cap side. I also trimmed a good bit between the flat and point. This fat was just throughout the whole point, nothing you could trim off. Just a fatty piece as stated I guess.