Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salsa Recipes?

Options
Boxerpapa
Boxerpapa Posts: 989
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've searched the Net and thousands of Salsa recipes appeared. Looking for a recipe here that someone has that is the BOMB. I have a bunch of tomatoes that need to be used. Spaghetti sauce IMHO is a waste of this great fruit. HELP!!! TIA

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    This is my favorite. Been doing for over 20 years.

Salsa, Pico de Gallo, Richard Fl.

INGREDIENTS:
    6-8 Whole Tomatoes
    1 Medium Red Onion
    1 Bunch Cilantro, fresh
    1 Can Green Chiles, diced, Ortegas/El Paso or similar
    1-2 Whole Jalapenos, fresh
    Juice from 1 fresh Lime
    1/4 cup Wine Vinegar
    1 dash Cayenne Pepper
    Fresh ground Pepper, to taste
    1/2 oz Cuervo Gold Tequila, to taste (optional)
    2-3 Tbs Hot Italian Cherry Peppers, diced (optional) or La Bomba

Procedure:
    1 Take tomatoes and cut in half against the stem, remove the seeds and any juices and discard. Dice tomatoes in 1/4 inch pieces.
    2 Sprinkle with a little salt and let set for 30 minutes to remove more juices (prior to doing this, if you desire, lightly roast the whole tomato to remove the skin, but keep some of the burnt skin for flavor and texture).
    3 Finely dice red onion, jalapenos, and cilantro (leaves only).
    4 Mix all ingredients (best the next day-will keep refrigerated for about a week)

Recipe Type
    Appetizer, Salsa

Recipe Source
    Author: Richard Howe (Richard Fl)

Source: BGE Florida Eggfest '09, Richard Fl

This is the way we like it, but play around for your taste buds, there are choices for

each palate.
  • thailandjohn
    Options
    A good salsa with pulled pork or brisket on a torta roll or tortilla is the bomb
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Richards recipe is a great one. I use Hatch chilis though.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Boxerpapa
    Options
    Thanks, looks like a good recipe. I'll give 'er a try
  • Boxerpapa
    Options
    I trust your judgement, especially with your smile ;)
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    I think what really makes a salsa great is freshness, rather than recipe. Garden-fresh or farmstand tomatoes, onions and peppers. Fresh cilantro (unless you're a hater). Roasted garlic. A little lime. Some salt. Ratios are really up to you.

I recently made a batch with one large globe tomato and five or so small plum tomatoes, one jalapeno, one serrano, two cloves of garlic, a small red onion, pinch of salt juice of half a lime, a tablespoon of chopped cilantro. I roasted the tomatoes, garlic and peppers in the egg, on the spider, and then peeled them. The salsa was awesome. Next time, I'll use only one clove of garlic, and one pepper, for that amount of tomatoes, but others might like it hot and garlicky.

Making another batch tonight! Gotta love summer.

But if you really want recipes, or just some flavor ideas, Rick Bayless's website has a whole page of just salsa recipes: http://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/category?categoryID=7