Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork

Options
Bubba's dad
Bubba's dad Posts: 97
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
When I go to the grocery store what is the cut of meat that I am looking for to make the best pulled pork? Do I want bone-in or boneless? Thank you very much from way in the Northwest

Comments

• Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    I've always used the bone-in, but it can be made well with either.
  • Luvs to shoot clay
    Options
    One opinion I saw the other day makes me lean toward the bone in and says that it's done when you can pull the bone out easily and it's clean. This makes sense to me, especially if you are not using a polder thermometer. Other than that, I really can't tell much difference in the taste. It's all good.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Bubba's Dad: The most common cut for pulled pork is Pork Butt, bone in. The boneless butt is typically bound in a net (which is oven safe) but will pull off the bark when de-netting it. You can also get a shoulder/picnic, but the skin/fat layer will inhibit bark formation (makes some fine pulled pork though, too)
    To answer your question, most common is Pork Butt, bone in. See if you can find a whole butt, which is typically 7-9 lbs. Have fun with it, it's a great cook on the egg. :)