Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PING: Raleigh-Area Eggers

Options
Matt
Matt Posts: 143
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi, All --

I am hoping for a big favor....I torched my nomex last night and need to install a Rutland. When I installed my nomex, I couldn't find the little plastic clip that comes with the Egg to keep the springs compressed when you remove the bands. Luckily, my dad was in town visiting and between the two of us, we could wrestle the thing back together. However, I could never get the alignment right and the gap never did pass the dollar bill test -- perhaps contributing to the downfall of my nomex.

At any rate, does anybody have one of those little plastic thingys that I could borrow? I'll bring you some tomatoes and chiles from my garden when I come pick it up.

Thanks.

Matt

Comments

• Vetereggnarian
    Options
    What about taking the springs off with pliers?
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    That plastic clip is just a safety device and doesn't play a part in proper alignment.

I never had one - I bought my large well before they started using those clips - and I've taken my dome off many times.

Just loosen the band bolts and adjust and have a helper (or two) hold the bands as best they can and tighten the bolts.
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    You can tie the bands together with double zip ties on each side of the hinge and the bands will hold together just fine.
  • Matt
    Options
    Fidel --

Thanks, but I don't have a helper. I understand that the plastic latch doesn't play a part in the alignment, but I was thinking that if I didn't have to worry about keeping the bands together manually, it would be easier to get the alignment right.

Matt
  • Matt
    Options
    Thanks, Rich -- maybe I'll give that a try.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Sorry, Matt. I don't have them as near as I can find. What I have always done is just tie the two handles together with string/rope. Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    no need to have that clipif you have wire ties

crackedeggfirday008.jpg

just put the ties on before you loosen the bolts and the bands will stay together.

sorry i don't have a better picture but i have not taken it apart in a few years ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• fieroguy
    fieroguy Posts: 777
    Options
    Matt - Here ya go - just loosen the band bolts enough to slip a tie-wrap thru the bands at the handle:

Tiewrap01copy.jpg