Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled pork 7lbs hpw long do I cook it??

Options
gocougs
gocougs Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I need some help. Just picked up a 7 lb pork butt and need some cooking time and heat help????

Thanks,
Jeff
Everett WA

Comments

• Luvs to shoot clay
    Options
    2004 eggfest recipes has a good one too. It's close to the recipe I use. I really like that thin sauce. When you mix it in, no one knows it has a sauce on it. You could probably even sneak it by the "No Saucing Spring Chicken Guy".
  • Luvs to shoot clay
    Options
    EggtoberFest 2004 Recipes on the right side of the page. I ain't savy enough to post a link.
  • ledmond
    ledmond Posts: 88
    Options
    250 degrees dome, indirect, drip pan with water, until meat temp of 195-200. Apply rub if you like.

Takes me 2.5 hours per pound sometimes a little more, although others will claim 1-1.5 hours per pound, and then there is the "it's done when it's done" sayers. Plan on 2.5 hours per pound and a couple of hours in a cooler afterwards and you will be fine.

Your ham will actually be cooked enough to eat in the first 4 hours or so @ 145 but the next 14 hours will give it that wonderful taste and @ 195 it will pull.

Good luck to you.
  • Brokersmoker
    Options
    250* dome until 190* internal. Plan on about 2 hrs/lb +/-
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Jeff, I don't smoke butts as often as I would like but, I have done many.

I setup for a long indirect cook. Making sure my egg has been cleaned out and fire box is lined up with the bottom damper door and no obstructions in the holes in the fire box.

I then fill the egg full at least to top of fire box with fresh lump. I often have three or four chunks of hickory mixed in with the lump. Lite the lump and place the plate setter on the fire ring legs up. I also place a foil lined drip pan on the plate setter using the BGE feet as an air gap between the plate setter and the drip pan. I don't use any liquid in the drip pan because it's not necessary.

Get your egg stabilized at 250 degrees for up to an hour. Now that you egg has been heating up at 250 degrees for at least 30 or 40 min's place your butt with rub on the grid fat cap up or down what ever you choose and close the dome. Don't touch the vents they will recover as long as you stabilized your egg.

Hope you have a maverick et-73 or poder or a way to read the internal temp. When your butts internal temp gets in to the plateau somewhere between 160 - 180 the cook will kinda stall but don't worry keep the dome at 250 degrees and when it reaches 195 - 205 degrees pull your butt and double wrap in heavy duty alumium foil then wrap in towels for at least 20 min's and up to 3 hours in a cooler.

When your ready to eat take your butt out and pull the meat apart and enjoy. :P Tim
  • Deluca
    Deluca Posts: 148
    Options
    Whatever you do, don't close all the vents once you get the egg to temperature!