Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri-tip steaks -- best temp and time?

Options
mikenmar
mikenmar Posts: 32
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have three 2-lb tri-tip steaks, currently marinated, to be cooked tomorrow. They are about 2" thick at the thickest part, and taper into thin edges.

What are thoughts on the best temperature and time? And direct vs indirect?

I see one recipe in the cookbook (Eggtoberfest 99) that calls for searing each side @ 450-500 for 4-6 mins, then cooking @ 350-400 for 30 mins.

I see another recipe in the cookbook (Tex Mex) that calls for an hour @ 240-270 with one flip in between.

I assume these are both direct cooks.

Anybody experiment with these two approaches?

Thanks,
Mike

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    I like doing raised direct at 250 for about hour (depending on how cold the tri-tip is), then sear at the end. I like it to pick up more red oak smoke flavor.

Remember to cut against the grain. I was going to fast the first time and went the wrong way. Still awesome - just a bit more 'pull'than i like.

If you haven't tried it, try out Morro Bay Rich's recipe on the Eggs by the bay website. It's currently my favourite (but I have some mods in mind for next time..... ;) 0
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Here arer 2 ideas

http://eggsbythebay.com/Recipes.php

Beef, Tri-Tip, Richard Fl

INGREDIENTS:
    2 2 Lbs Each Tri-tips
    EVOO
    "Rub It Raw" Santa Maria Style BBQ Rub, www.acebandito.com
    Grilling Sauce:
    1/2 Cup Red Wine Vinegar
    1/2 Cup EVOO
    1 Tbs Garlic Powder
    1 Tbs Fresh ground Black Pepper

Procedure:
    1 Sprinkled EVOO on tri-tips and then heavly coated with the rub on both sides. Set covered in glass dish in refrigerator for 6 hours. Took out about 2 hours before cook and left on counter to come to room temperature.
    BGE:
    1 Got the large BGE up to 650°F direct and seared the tri-tips 3 minutes per side. pulled off the BGE and tented with heavy duty aluminum foil. Set the BGE up for indirect with plate setter legs up and shut down vents until the temperature of BGE got to 400°F about 20-25minutes. The internal temperature was about 98° F when pulled and 109°F when placed back on the BGE. Placed tri-tips back on and marinated about every 5 minutes until it reached 125°F internal. Pulled and let rest for 15 minutes. Final internal temperature was 135°F. Medium
    2 The sauce used to cook was from "Morro Bay Rich" recipe for Santa Clara Tri-Tip. Thanks!

Recipe Type
    Beef, Main Dish

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2007/10/24
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Options
    We did Morro Bay Rich's method last week. Fantastic. Now my wife wants this to be the main for Christmas Dinner. ;)
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    Dave,
    Sounds like a good wife to me. :)