Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temp Control

JDP
JDP Posts: 9
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm having trouble understanding temps. If I start up my egg and get it up to "whatever" temp and then put on the meat the temp drops. Do I make adjustments or just let the Egg come back up to temp?

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Once the Egg is stabilized, adding a piece of cold meat(even a really large one)will only result in a temporary drop in temp. The Egg has sort of a memory, and as long as the settings aren't changed, it will find it's way back to the stabilized temp every time.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    You add a lot of cold mass to a warm environment and the temp is going to drop. If you had your egg stabilized then the airflow is appropriate and the temp will come back to where it was over time.
  • The level of drop will be dependent on the temperature differential between the stabilized egg temperature and the piece of meat, the mass of the latter, and whether the egg was truly stabilized (i.e. homogeneous temperature throughout the mass of the egg, particularly the dome).
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    You don't have to add anything for the temp to drop. Opening the dome lets most of the hot air out, and the therm will be reading ambient air temp. After closing the dome it takes a few minutes for the egg to come back to temp, but it will come back. Changing settings during that time only complicates the process.
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    The hardest part is being patient and making sure your egg is stabilized at the temp. It is so tempting to just toss the meat on as soon as you hit the target temp. I try to make sure I am at the temp for at least 15 minutes before adding anything.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    NibbleMeThis wrote:
    The hardest part is being patient and making sure your egg is stabilized at the temp. It is so tempting to just toss the meat on as soon as you hit the target temp. I try to make sure I am at the temp for at least 15 minutes before adding anything.

I'm guilty of not being patient!!! :blink:

I'm getting better though, I don't wait 15....maybe 5. You have alot of patience Chris! B)
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Well, same thing happens when you open your oven. The temp drops and when you close the door, the oven clicks on and goes back up. The difference is the oven is NOT a real time temperature gauge like the egg is.