Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Making Chipotles

Misippi Egger
Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thanks for the responses earlier this week and references to older posts. I now have 25 red jalapenos undergoing a slow transformation into Chipotles. Here are the players (24 here, but added one from the garden after pic was taken):
DSC_0094.jpg
Small fire, pecan chips interspersed with the lump plus a couple of pecan chunks. Spider, spacers, round drip pan and elevated grid. Since the BBQ Guru doesn't have a pit setting below 175*, I decided to attached the pit probe to the dome thermometer, thinking the grid temp would be 20-25* less than the dome temp. Goal was to try to keep grid temp at 150-160*.
Smoking good:
DSC_0096.jpg
DSC_0097.jpg
Smell SO good ! :woohoo:
Plan is to smoke overnight (12 hours), then transfer to a dehydrator for 12+ additional hours, or until done.
I lifted the dome after about 2 hours (to add some more pecan chips) and got quite a "whiff" of spicy smoke ! :ohmy: :ohmy:

More updates tomorrow!

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    I'll be watching. Thanks!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Misippi Egger
    Looks like the 'Loney King and 'Loney Queen are on the same wavelength! :ohmy:
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Howdy Clark! If you plan to dehydrate them anyway, why not make an incision so that they can begin drying in the egg as well as having some smoke permiate the insides too. Just a thought. They do look good, brother.
  • Misippi Egger
    Good thought. Nobody suggested that in the previous posts and seemed to get plenty of smoke in their end product. I might sneak out there and slit 3 or 4 and see if I can tell any difference after it's all done! :)
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    B) :laugh:
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Clark will you get a sauce?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Rooster K
    Rooster K Posts: 416
    Looks good. I did some last year but no peppers this year too much rain. They are great in chili. Good luck!
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    I just tried smoking and dehydrating my own peppers this weekend (I did a mix of cayenne and others). I had no clue what I was doing but ended up with some good ground pepper!

I cold smoked them but only for a little while. Next time I'll go like you did, way longer on the smoking portion. I didn't get much smoke flavor in mine.

http://www.nibblemethis.com/2010/07/experimenting-with-chili-peppers.html

But it was a great first try and I'll definitely do it again. Can't wait to see how yours turn out!
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Lookin good Clark!!! Did you find a good adobo sauce for those puppes yet?? :laugh: Keep us posted!
  • Misippi Egger
    Little Chef had suggested some chipotles in adobe sauce. I will probably give that a try. :)

Plan to vacuum seal the whole chipotles plus grind some up to make a powder for seasoning things.
  • Misippi Egger
    Sorry about your weather! I have mine growing in an Earthbox with the automatic watering system. It have worked great this year!
  • Misippi Egger
    Good blog, Chris. I think smoking longer will help. We'll see.

Hey, I was up your way a couple of weeks ago - a wedding in Pigeon Forge. man, that's a long drive from central Mississippi - about 9 hours (driving fast). Beautiful place. It's been many years since we were last in the Gatlinburg area.
  • Misippi Egger
    Got some, but haven't selected what I will use. Probably won't make it til the weekend.

Thanks for the idea. ;)
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    I just pickled 3 quarts of mixed peppers that were mainly jalapenos. I've been researching smoking chipotles for a while, and plan to do some in a couple weeks when I get a bunch more ripe. Just found this for chipotles in adobo

Recipe: Chipotles Adobados (Chipotle Chiles in Adobo Sauce)

Here's a pickled chile recipe from Tlaxcala. These sweet-hot pickled chiles can be the basis of a sauce of their own if they're further puréed, or they can be served as a condiment with enchiladas and other main dishes. Note that this recipe requires advance preparation.

½ pound dried chipotle chiles, stems removed

Water to rehydrate

1 quart vinegar

1 head garlic, peeled and crushed

½ cup piloncillo, or ½ cup packed brown sugar

1 cup roasted and peeled green chile, such as poblano or New Mexican

2 medium tomatoes, chopped

6 black peppercorns

3 bay leaves

1 teaspoon ground cumin

Salt to taste

Soak the chipotles in water until they rehydrate, at least one hour, then drain.

In a saucepan, add ½ of the vinegar, ½ of the garlic and the brown sugar. Cook this mixture for about 20 minutes, then add the chipotles.

In another pan, combine the green chile, tomato, remaining garlic, peppercorns, bay leaves, cumin, remaining vinegar, and salt to taste. Cook for about 30 minutes, covered, over a medium heat. Add the chipotle chile mixture, stir well, and store in sterilized jars.

Yield: About 1 ½ quarts

Heat Scale: Hot

Found it here: http://www.sedonavisions.com/chipotle_profile.htm
  • Misippi Egger
    Thanks, Jeff. I saved that for later.

BTW, They are in the dehydrator and the smoky smell is awesome. Not sure how the "Princess" (wife) is going to tolerate the smell in the kitchen throughout the day, though. I thought the high humidity outdoors might impede the drying process.
  • Grillin Guy
    Grillin Guy Posts: 302
    Can't wait to see the finished product, Clark.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    i like all the bright red colors, makes me happy.

thanks for posting.
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Misippi Egger
    Cheaper than Prozac! :laugh: :laugh: