Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Residual heat from a T-Rex cook ...

Options
Smoked Signals
Smoked Signals Posts: 505
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I figured out what to do with all that wonderful residual heat left over in your egg after a T-Rex cook. As you are enjoying your perfectly cooked steak, try throwing some bacon on the grill. Put in the platesetter with a drip pan if you want. But definitely throw in some wood ... does wonders for store bought bacon. WOW.[p]

Comments

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    Smoked Signals,[p]That is the perfect time to make dog biscuits. It only takes a minute to whip up the dog biscuit matter and roll them out. Toss on a pizza plate and stick on the biscuits. They only take about 10 mins to cool and aren't real fussy on temperature. Stick them in zip loc bags and store them in the freezer so they don't get moldy too fast. Great reward for pup-pup.[p]mShark
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Smoked Signals,
    i dunno if this is a new idea or not, but when I've seared at nuke temps, and have pulled the steaks off to rest, i throw on some veggies, like yams cut in thick slices, and let them cook as the temp drops. if you toss enough in, i think they actually help work as a heat sink, and they make use of the residual heat/fuel. waste not want not.[p]in them time it takes the egg to drop to 400 or so, the veggies are done, and the steaks go back on for just a couple minutes.[p]i'm thinking of getting a small egg for cooking at different temps, but this is one way i do different things at diff temps on just the large.[p]and, it helps justify the 'hangin around time' when otherwise nuthin would be happening, except waiting to come down in temp.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Smoked Signals,
    I always smoke 2 pounds at a time and then stack the pieces with wax paper between the slices and then freeze that "limb". I always cut up one slice into small pieces and scatter it on every pizza I make. That adds just the right amount of smoke taste and as Emeril says a tad of pork and pork fat kicks up the taste a knotch. I also will occassionally use in a piece in a tossed salad with excellent results.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • katman
    katman Posts: 331
    Options
    mollyshark,
    Would you share your favorite dog biscuit recipe? Gomez and Velvet like everything I cook on the Egg.

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Smoked Signals,
    don't know about the heat after the dwell, but a lot of times, when i pull the steaks out of the sear for their 20 minute rest, i toss in my grill wok and a bunch of veggies (usually sliced peppers, onions and mushrooms), and stir fry them up while the egg is coming down to 400 degrees. . .[p]watch out for the backflash though when opening the dome to toss the veggies. . .

• Wino
    Wino Posts: 69
    Options
    RRP,
    How do you do it. Time, Temp., direct or indirect?
    Thanks
    Wino

• egghead2004
    Options

It's a pork fat thing!

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Wino,
    indirect using the plate sitter inverted. Due to grease I always put down a layer of foil on the p/s itself. 220° for about 1 hr 20 min - flip after 50 minutes. A couple times I have used my Mr Misto filled with sweet apple cider and misted the bacon with good results. As for smoke I use 3 handfuls of hickory chips.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Smoked Signals,
    I like to take some big scallops coated with your favorite spices, and wrap them in bacon. Throw them on as the temp comes down and you have the perfect appetizer before your steak!

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    shroomplated.JPG
    <p />Smoked Signals,[p]I usually do portabella mushrooms during the 20 minute rest.[p]Yum.[p]TRex