Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brand new "Egghead"

Options
Tank_NZ
Tank_NZ Posts: 53
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi - Just a quick note to say "hi" from New Zealand.

Just picked up a LBGE yesterday. They are pretty new down here - and so far (with the exclusion of the guys who brought the units in) nobody I have spoken to has ever heard of them.

Im a fan ever since I had some food off one at a Tail gate at a Florida State gate in Tallahassee (was there for a meeting). The food was great - although I still cannot understand that game you guys call football Looks like a game for girls. :lol: Still the tailgaiting was excellent.

Anyway - hope to have it together this evening and throwing on our first meal of which I hope is many.

After reading this forum (which is very helpful - and appreciated) - Ive decided to start with Spacthcock chicken.

Here is hoping it turns out good - else my wife will kill me for spending so much on something that she took one look at and said "what the **** is that thing?"

Wish me luck!

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Welcome, Tank! Good luck with the chicken - just finished off some legs myself. Mighty tasty!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Welcome to the "CULT". Was in your beautiful country in '67 in Auckland and Wellington with the US Navy. Other than the wonderful people and scenery, remember that I could not find a lamb meal in a restaurant as I was told all the lamb went to the USA. Happy egging.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm
  • AlwaysGolf
    AlwaysGolf Posts: 704
    Options
    Welcome, and just a side note I am originally from Tallahassee and attended Florida State before joining the military. And I must say you couldn't have picked a finer place or watch a finer fotball ta after consuming food off the best grill in the world!!
  • Unknown
    Options
    You know, you have an opportunity to make BGE history. You could be the first to cook an entire Kangaroo on the egg! (Shipping would be much less for you at least) :)
  • Cobra
    Cobra Posts: 110
    Options
    Welcome, and enjoy. Im not sure if practice makes perfect or not, but it usually makes lots of good food along the way.

Maybe you can be the innovator and start something new around you.
  • Roll Tide
    Roll Tide Posts: 505
    Options
    Welcome, You will love your egg!
  • misfit
    misfit Posts: 358
    Options
    Don't know that they have 'roo there, just plenty of sheep.
  • pattikake
    pattikake Posts: 1,175
    Options
    Welcome to the forum, don't forget to post pics. Good Luck on your first cook. As you cook more and more on it you will love it even more.

Patti
    Wichita, KS
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Welcome Tank. You will love you egg i'm sure. Keep posting and we love to see food pictures as well. May a roo as well. Tim

Hope your chicken cooks up great.

Hell it seems like we have egg heads all over the world!
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    Welcome to the forum Tank_NZ. :)

You trust you have learned that you must be careful around Florida State people. :lol:

We'll wait for photos of your egged chicken.
  • Tank_NZ
    Options
    @ Tweev-tip,

You might be thinking of our Australian cousins - We dont have Kangaroos here, although as mentioned plenty of good looking sheep.

Im hoping to pop out and shoot a deer to throw on the Egg over the weekend (after a good hanging obv).

@ Richard, FL - Yes it used to be like that (well - thats what my parents tell me) - But no problems getting top quality lamb here now at all. We generally just get friends to kill one in the morning (we used to do them on spits) - Fresh is best.

@ AlwaysGolf - Go the Noles ?

Also - as we live right on the coast (2 mins from beach) Im looking forward to reading up and trying some good smoking ideas for seafood - as its cheap and easy to get hold of, but I hate over smoked fish etc.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Eggcelent first cook.Very forgiving.Welcome to the MAYHEM! :laugh: B)
  • misfit
    misfit Posts: 358
    Options
    Sorry, forgot the "Welcome" & "Luck". And yes, some of the best wool/skins come from there, probably racks and chops too.
  • Vetereggnarian
    Options
    Welcome - my wife said something similar, a month later she let me buy another one.

Grill a kiwi on it, just seems like the right thing to do, plus it will probably taste really good.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Would that Deer be a Red Stag???Lucky Devil! :)
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Tank..... :laugh: ...Great intro! And welcome New Zealand! No worries...the wife will be 'sold' on the idea in no time!! B) Search here, or ask here, before messing up the cook!! :)
  • Unknown
    Options
    Yes, I know there are no kangaroos in NZ, that's what i meant about the cheaper shipping.

Flight of the Concords is hilarious (and canceled :()

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FArZxLj6DLk

Welcome.
  • Grillin & Chillin
    Options
    Welcome & Congrats Tank NZ
    Lots of great ideas from this forum with uncountable variations from everyone. I am sure we can learn some new ones from you as well. If you don't mind me asking, what do the BGE's sell for over there? I am thinking of the shipping & handling cost oversea's etc. Look forward to reading and seeing some of your cooks in the future.It's all about enjoying Grillin & Chillin!
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • Tank_NZ
    Options
    Grillin & Chillin wrote:
    Welcome & Congrats Tank NZ
    Lots of great ideas from this forum with uncountable variations from everyone. I am sure we can learn some new ones from you as well. If you don't mind me asking, what do the BGE's sell for over there? I am thinking of the shipping & handling cost oversea's etc.

Just jumped on xe.com to check exchange rates.

Large Big Green Egg, with a nest, place setter (I think that is the right term - the indirect thinggie), ash tools, multi function top and gripper - $734 USD all in.

There was a bit missing and the dealer drove from one side of Auckland to the other to deliver it to me.

Only bad side - got home and wife had dinner ready already - grrrrr.

Putting on the top - the bolts that attach the ring to the hinge assembly - one of the bolts sheered as I was tightening it - so I only have three there at the moment - so now I have to get a new one and redo the lid. Anyway - tomorrow for the first cook and Im excited
  • milesofsmiles
    milesofsmiles Posts: 1,377
    Options
    1. I own this Truck. 2. I won this belt buckle. 3. I swear officer I was just helping this sheep thru the fence. :) Welcome to the forum, and don't let them Texans near your sheep. :lol::lol:
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    Sheep are known to be lying some b*tches. You can't believe a word they say. :angry:

Welcome to the cult, Tank. I'm sure you'll come up with some great recipes that we haven't thought of. One question: How do you keep the charcoal in the Egg with it being upside down like it is? :ohmy: (I'm sure you get tired of that joke)

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Big Knife
    Big Knife Posts: 35
    Options
    Tank_NZ wrote:
    Just jumped on xe.com to check exchange rates.

Large Big Green Egg, with a nest, place setter (I think that is the right term - the indirect thinggie), ash tools, multi function top and gripper - $734 USD all in.

Yowsers! That's considerably cheaper than what I paid, and I'm only in Canada.

Congratulations on making the World Cup this year btw. Your boys did well.

Big Knife
    Displaced Aussie
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Hello and welcome. You will love your egg.

We have members all over the world and it's always fun to see pics of the way people live and cook in other countries. Please post pics, we love pics.

Faith
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Unknown
    Options
    Eggs in Canada are notoriously expensive. In West Van there is a place that sells the Large 'kit' for $1600! ouch!
  • Monty Burns
    Options
    Welcome Tank_NZ!

Hope you enjoy your Egg as much as we all have! Look forward to hearing about your experiences.
  • Tank_NZ
    Options
    Well,

No pics (disaster of a night - long story not related to the dinner).

BUT - the spatchcook chicken was the winner of the night. Wife is converted already - said best chicken ever !!!

Son was annoyed he was at a sleep over tonight and was going to miss out on tonights wings because the chicken was "waaaaaay better than mums".

Really happy with the outcome.

Now to work out what to cook + wings tonight for the rugby.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Have fun Tank! :)