Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Shoulder or Butt

Options
sharhamm
sharhamm Posts: 258
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Is there a difference in the way to cook or in the taste or tenderness?

Comments

• Grillin & Chillin
    Options
    Hi S.
    No difference in cooking methods. IMHO the butt is more moist and my preference when wanting pulled pork etc. Try both and see what you prefer. Post some pic's when you can of your cook.
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Butt is part of the shoulder. If you are referring to the "picnic" cut, the cooking method is the same, but the taste and texture are a little different.
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    There are fans of both camps...and the same is true her as well as I expect!

Doing some research will reveal that they are two cuts from the same primal.

They can be cooked in similar methods saving the fact their differing sizes and bone content will need to be coinsidered.

Some think the "Shoulder" has a bit more "hammy" flavor...and for some they like this!

Wich ever one you try...try to get it with as little (or no) "enhancements"! Check to see if it has added salt and water! If it does...ask the Butcher if they have any "Minimally Processed".

Personally...i dont like the texture of "enhanced pork"...but thats me!

"Your Mileage may vary"

Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Sharon,

A whole shoulder comprises the butt and picnic. I prefer the whole shoulder but you are looking at close to twenty pounds and a long cook. Either butt or picnic is good for PP but the picnic has a lower yield and tastes a bit more hammy.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• sharhamm
    Options
    The reason I asked was that I had thought that what I had purchased at Costco in the past was Butt, but I could be wrong. But today it was shoulder. I need it for a pulled pork luncheon that I volunteered for. I definately don't want anything that tastes like ham, pork flavor is what I had in mind. Do you think I should return them? Anybody purchased these Costco shoulders? :unsure:
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    A shoulder consists of the butt and picnic attached together. It is a huge piece of meat. Is that what you have, or just the picnic portion of the shoulder?

Pork-Chart_Article.jpg
  • Chubby
    Options
    I've not seen costco sell "shoulders"

Im in Houston...(but have shopped in other rejoins too)...and what thery sell is "boneless" butt!

Sou they have it marked as a shoulder/butt?

How much does it weigh?

Is it Boneless?

BTW...Sam's sells "Bone In Pork Butts" (minimally processed) usually in two pacs!

answers?
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Sharon,

Don't worry about it. The picnic is a little hammy tasting on it's own but it really compliments the butt portion. It is surrounded in fat and stays incredibly moist. As I said, the whole shoulder comes out best IMHO.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Options
    Chubby,

You are probably right. It's likely two butts.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Chubby
    Options
    Steven...

If she got it at Costco...

I'm thinking she has boneless butts...marked as shoulder/butts.

I've never seen them sell anything pork butt/shoulder related... bone in.

Evans
  • sharhamm
    Options
    I did not open the packs. Put them directly in the freezer as they are not needed until mid august. I do have a package though that I am going to have to cook in the next week or so just to get a feel of what I've got. Looks like a party is in order. Hopefully I'll remeber to let you all know what they are like and post some pictures. Thanks for all your imput...I feel more confident now. :cheer:
  • Cactus Doug
    Cactus Doug Posts: 341
    Options
    The Costco here in Socal. only sells a 2 pack of boneless butts. I have noticed them sometimes labeled as shoulder. When you cook these you should tie them with cotton string to keep the piece of meat together. I have also cooked a picnic before and although many people say that it is more "hammy" , it works beautifully for pulled pork.
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    It is "enhanced" meat that ends up hammy in my opinion....that and leaving rub on too long before the cook.
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    One of the big differences is skin. I always see the picnics with skin on. With my eastern Carolina roots I cannot resist some nice crunchy/chewy pig skin to chew on occasionally after a nice overnight cook.
  • Chubby
    Options
    The smell of crunchy...chewey PigSkin in the morning!

cd14ecec.jpg
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Butt is TOP half of the Front leg.Picnic is the Lower half.A WHOLE shoulder is both ,connected.I prefer the Picnics,Cheaper and MORE FLAVoRFUL! ;)