Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking Quarter-Pound Burgers?

Options
RiverFarm
RiverFarm Posts: 216
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Many of the recipes I've seen for grilling on the Egg call for 1/2-lb hamburgers, and we just don't want that much meat per serving. But we're having a hard time getting the 1/4-lb version to cook properly; by the time the outside looks good the inside is overcooked. If we make them smaller and thicker they get lost in the standard-sized buns. Any suggestions?

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Make the 1/2 lb burgers but cut them in half (after placed in the bun). That way you are not wasting as much valuable stomach capacity on the bread ;). Now you have room for a brat as well!

I've actually only done burgers once and they were about 1/4 lb and my assessment was the same as yours...a little too crispy on the outside. I thought next time I might try on a raised grid.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Just out of curiosity, how are you cooking them now? That is, grill height, and temp?
  • Rusty Rooster
    Rusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
    Options
    Lower your dome temp. &/or raise your grid. That way, maybe the inside can cook to your desired doneness at closer to the time the outside is as done as yoou sesire.
  • RiverFarm
    Options
    We're cooking them at standard grill height and at 650. Maybe this just isn't doable...We figured if the temp was high enough we'd get that nice browned effect while still allowing the inside to stay pink. So far that hasn't worked. Maybe if I used frozen burgers...
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    If by standard grill, you mean on the grill on the fire ring, as RR says below, raise the grill. At that distance, w. a dome of 650, the burgers are probably cooking at 1100F or more. You might do a 1/4 lb steak in maybe 20 seconds total with that sort of heat.

Also, a griddle or a CI pan wight be good for this (and many other things) where you want to cook something thin at a pretty high heat.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    i make mine a little bigger but i chill the burgers in the freezer for about 30 or so min until the outside starts to freeze up, then onto the grill usually raised and around 400 plus or minus, i dont pay alot of attention to temps on the hgrill, 350 to 450 im cooking. thermapens dont work well with thin burgers, i wait til the juices flow on top and flip, wait til the juices flow again and add the cheese. the thermapen was ruining burgers for me, i stopped using it ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • field hand
    field hand Posts: 420
    Options
    We cook 1/2 lb burgers at normal grid position but at 450*. If a little more char is needed, we open the lid for some fame-up, and pull at 130* internal temp. This will take a little longer than cooking in the 600* range, but works for us. Good luck.

Barry
    Marthasville, MO
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    Options
    Deer cooks waaaaay faster then beef....I like my burgers a touch of pink but I have never gotten deer burgers like that.....Good luck....
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I go 400 dome.A CI grill or pan works good too.
  • I usually make 1/3 lb burgers, raised grid @350-375 dome temp. Cook around 7 minutes and flip, cook another 7 minutes and pull them off the egg. The results are some very juicy and tasty burgers.
  • RiverFarm
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. What's a CI grill or pan - cast iron?If you use a pan, though, you might as well cook them on a stove, no?

I think I'll try lower heat and having them frozen or at least very chilled. There has to be a way to do this!