Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Papa Murphy's Pizza on the BGE

Options
ThaMav12
ThaMav12 Posts: 27
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I plan on trying my own homemade crust in the near future, but tomorrow I was going to try Papa Murphy's, which is take and bake....

I know there are some things you have to do regarding preheating the stone, preheating your homemade crust, etc, prior to putting toppings on, etc, but was just wondering if anyone had direct experience with Papa Murphy's Pizza and any tips or tricks with it...

If so, do you bake it initially on their little saucer that you would normally use in the oven?

Does this type of already made pizza work on the Egg?

What temp?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Comments

• UT Smokey
    UT Smokey Posts: 17
    Options
    I've heard people say they have done this with great success in the egg. What temperature do they recommend? I would go with that. Typically with homemade crust I go with about 550 degrees. Make sure to let the temperature stabilize and let the stone heat up.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    If you have a stone, use it, if not don't worry about it just use their paper tray. -RP
  • Achate
    Achate Posts: 39
    Options
    One of my first cooks the week I bought my egg was a Papa Murphy's pizza.

425 for about 15 minutes (it was NOT the stuff crust!) and it was AMAZING!

If you are doing the stuffed crust (which we did 3 days ago) - just egg it indirect, upside down plate setter, at the "usual" oven heat - I think 375?

Both times I used the plate setter, the papa murpys paper plate (it was impossible to take the pizza off their supplied paper plate) - and a pizza stone. HOPEFULLY you kept the three green egg "feet" that came with your egg. If so, use them to keep the pizza stone off the plate setter.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=910935&catid=1
  • Pilcher Man
    Options
    When I cook Papa Murphy's, this works for me. Get a good stable temp. Put in you plate setter legs down. Put in your pizza stone and insert some small spacers between the plate setter and the pizza stone. Let the setter and the pizza stone heat up together. At 430-450 degrees put your pizza on the stone using the tray provided by Murphy's. After a minute or so , the crust will begin to harden and will separate from the tray. When it separates, you can choose to leave the pizza in the tray or remove it by slipping it directly onto the stone (if removed,put a little cornmeal on the stone first). Either way the pizza will cook. Takes about 15 minutes or so to cook and you can keep the pizzas coming if you have a crowd. This is the way I did it and mine turned out great. Don't try to remove the pizza from the tray before you put it on the egg, when I was a newbie I did this and it was like trying to stand up in a hammock. I made a mess. Now my egg and I are older, hence wiser. Good luck.
  • mrdnks
    mrdnks Posts: 67
    Options
    I have done several Papa Murphy's on the EGG.
    What they said cook around 425-500 and it will be fantastic as always.
  • ThaMav12
    Options
    Thanks for the help! I have heard several people mentioning to put a "spacer" between the pizza stone and the platesetter...Why is this? Just curious why you would need to put anything between the two...

I have an XL egg, which doesn't come with feet, so I'm not sure what I would use as a spacer between the two....any suggestions?
  • ThaMav12
    Options
    Thanks for the help! I have heard several people mentioning to put a "spacer" between the pizza stone and the platesetter...Why is this? Just curious why you would need to put anything between the two...

I have an XL egg, which doesn't come with feet, so I'm not sure what I would use as a spacer between the two....any suggestions?
  • Hoosier
    Hoosier Posts: 107
    Options
    I didn't receive the feet when I bought my Large BGE either so I've used fat washers a couple of times (4 of them work perfectly and keep the stone stable)

I've done dozens of pizzas, both with spacers and without. If you're only cooking one pizza I actually prefer to not use spacers. The theory in using them is you create an air space between the plate-setter and the stone so your stone doesn't get as hot and won't burn the crust. Unless your stone is in direct contact with the PS and your running at 600 degrees for an hour, I have not had that problem.

My current favorite setup is plate-setter legs down, then grid, then grid extender, then stone on top. This gets the stone up high in the dome and has given me the most consistent results. I cook at 600 degrees and preheat the stone for at least 35 minutes at temp
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    We used to have a very good pizzeria that sold take and bake pies. This is how I did them. First of all, they always made the pies fresh when you ordered them, so I went in and ordered in person (vs. call it in and then go get it). I asked them to put some flour on the paper tray to help keep the crust from sticking. They then built the pie and then sort of shrink wrapped with plastic wrap.

I always bake the pie as soon as I could, again to help with keeping the pie stick to the tray. To get the pie ready, I placed the pie upside down on the box. I cut the plastic wrap around the edges so I could then peel off the tray. Then I put my peel over the pis (which is still upside down on the box) and turned it all over. Voila! The pie is right side up on the peel. I just removed the plastic wrap and headed to the egg.

For this pizzeria's pies, I found the following worked well. I put the plate setter in with the pizza stone on top of it. I don't use the feet or other spaces. I heat the Egg up to 500-550 degrees and let it preheat for about 30 minutes. When ready to cook, I tossed a handful of hickory chips into the gap between the plate setter and the side of the egg (we liked a little smoke on our pies) and put the pie on the stone. I'd check at 6 minutes, but 7 minutes was usually the right amount of cooking.

Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • SmokinFizx
    SmokinFizx Posts: 29
    Options
    We did this very thing just two days ago. With the plastic wrap still on the pizza, flip it upside down, slit the plastic on the bottom, peel off the paper tray, sprinkle the crust with a little flour and cornmeal, put your peal on the bottom and flip. Voila!!

I've even found that if you ask real nice the PapaMurphy people will peal the crust off the tray and sprinkle the bottom with flour before they replace the crust and make the pizza. This really makes it easy. I've even had the PapaMurphy's people just sell me their crust. I've hand made crust for years but find it hard to beat the PM people.

On the spacers under the pizza stone (sorry I'm a physicist and can't help analyzing stuff like this): When you're not using a low expansion ceramic (like your BGE and BGE stones) if you don't allow for uniform airflow and therefore uniform heating and expansion, you face the risk of cracking (I've even seen small explosive breaks) your stone. Nothing's worse than trying to explain to your wife that you just ruined her Pampered Chef pizza stone (she doesn't read this forum and I hope you don't tell her either, thanks :S ) trying to cook something on the BGE.

I swear pizza on the egg is as good as any pizza at any brick oven pizza place anywhere. :woohoo:

Randy
    Ozark, Mo
  • ThaMav12
    Options
    Thanks again to everyone for the help...

Just one clarification on the "spacers"...I just went to Home Depot and was looking for some simple washers, but with them being so thin, I thought I might need something that raises the pizza stone up further...

What I bought was 4 metal bushings, which are essentially round fittings for plumbing it looks like...They are all metal, and would raise the stone up about an inch...Will this work, or for some reason is raising it an inch too much?
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,036
    Options
    Trial
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    I'm going to bed. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Edit. I got two weird errors.  Did not think this posted
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone