Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Delight Smoke Stix

Options
Phrettbender
Phrettbender Posts: 78
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I recently grabbed a dozen Smoke Stix from BBQr's Delight and find they don't work as well as I thought in the pellet grill. Has anyone used them in their egg? I'm going to give some of the apple a try doing some pork tomorrow and I have no idea if anyone wraps them in foil, puts them in a metal cup, adds them right to the coals.... In the pellet grill I tried placing a slice in a metal 1-cup measuring cup and lighting it, then placing it on the cooking grate. The tow times I tried they did not stay lit very well, but I'm sure they will in the coals on the egg.

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    It's funny that you bring this up tonight because I just ordered pellets from Candy at BBQ Delight. She recommended throwing pellets on the lump on my large egg. I've been reading that they have a great product. I liked the idea because they don't require any soaking and you can toss them in without removing the grate. Sound good?

I am interested in your feedback if you have a pellet smoker what the pros and cons are. Any info would be appreciated. (I'm tired of storing lump!)
    Thanks!
  • Phrettbender
    Options
    I've used the pellets on a few cooks on the egg. Twice just tossing them on the coals, once putting them in a foil packet and poking a pencil hole in it. The packet produced much more smoke. BBQr Delight, from what I hear, has a great product, hence I ordered the smoke stix. They do have two different types of pellets. They sell pellets in small bags, $4 or so, that are 100% of the advertised wood. They also sell larger (10# ?) bags for use in pellet grills that have a "flavor" wood in them. They are usually about 80% oak or alder and only 20% of the named wood, such as apple or hickory. I've used other pellets to cook with and that 20% of named wood is not detectable between flavors. I have used some pellets to cook that were 100% hickory and they were 10x better than a hickory mix! Cookinpellet.com may sell the 100% hickory and their "Perfect Mix" a blend of apple, cherry, hickory and maple, in 3 # packages. Now back to the Smokin Stix, they should be 100% of the named wood, and at $1.80 or so per 1# stick much cheaper than a little bag of pellets. Plus a large chunk of the stick will burn slower and longer than some pellets. Just my opinion!

Can;t help with being tired of storing lump! I now have that problem, also, along with the 400 lbs of pellets.
  • Unknown
    Options
    DO you have a pellet smoker in your collection? I'm trying to find someone with a BGE and a pellet smoker to get the pros and cons. Let me know.
    Thanks!
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Check with Serial Griller, he has both, and more. ;)
    I've never soaked my chunks, and produced a great product. :)
    Good conversation, thanks.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Phrettbender
    Options
    I have a Green Mountain Grill pellet smoker, the Daniel Boone model, and recently an XL BGE. I have a few other cookers but those two I use 95% of the time. With BGE being new, I haven't done any extended cooks of butt or brisket so I can't compare it to the pellet grill. I do know from getting the egg up and running half a dozen times it's allot more work than the pellet grill!