Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork - What's your favorite cut and recipe.

Options
DAP
DAP Posts: 11
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm still pretty much a newbie to the Green Egg and thought I would seek the advise of those with more experience.

I would like to cook pork this weekend. Any suggestions on a cut or recipe? Shoulder, butt, loin, etc, etc.

Thanks in advance for your input! Dave

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Tenderloins properly seasoned and cooked are phenomenal..

I love pork steaks too. If you are unfamiliar with them they are steaks cut from the Butt. Just coat them with your favorite rub and slather them with your favorite BBQ sauce near the end.

Great will grilled sweet taters
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    For Barbecue it's butts(bi). Nothing else cooks up as wonderfully moist and delicious.

In general, whole loins are hard to beat. They are extrmely versatile. Cut them into chops, roasts, etc. Use for pioneer/canadian bacon. Roulade. Endless possibilites.
  • UT Smokey
    UT Smokey Posts: 17
    Options
    I did a butt last weekend for the first time and it was some of the best bbq I have ever had. The best part about it is that even after everyone went back for seconds there was still enough to eat leftovers during the week!
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    Pork was made to be grilled or slow cooked, so it is hard to choose a favorite.

If I could only do one more cook, it would be a tenderloin, using the Kentucky Bourbon Pork recipe in the cookbook section. I have been using it for about 15 years and it is still a favorite.

That said, I also love a double cut, bone in, chop (just the loin section -- not the T-bone) that is cooked with most any rub and a little smoke.

Be sure you have a good thermometer and do not overcook. Pork is safe at 137. I usually shoot for 140 minimum, recognizing that the temp will increase after I pull the meat.