Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

sirloin tip roast

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
this my first large beef roast, I am marinading it in cattlemans brisket marinade overnight. can anyone give me advise as to what temperature and how long to grill it for. I also have a V-rack should I use a drip tray under it ? or put it strait on the grill.
Help>>> jeff

Comments

• dacuzzi, jeff,this roast is 9lbs

• jrterrier
    Options
    dacuzzi, jeff,
    I'd put a drip pan under it. It will stop all those juices from dripping into the ashes and burning, causing grease smoke. I recently did a 7 blade potroast. Cooked it at 250*, with a drip pan/rack, and to an internal temperature of 160*. It was absolutely wonderful. Tender, moist, smokey... can't ask for much more. The texture was unlike any potroast I have ever eaten. More like a prime rib than the stringy pot roasts of my past. The juices in my drip pan would have made a wonderful gravy too. A 7 blade roast is a thinner cut... maybe 2.5" thick, and it took 2.5 hours to get to that temperature.
    "Tips" are the less tender of the sirloin cuts, and can be a bit tough, so I definately would slow cook it. Slow cooking will keep it moist and more tender.
    "Joy Of Cooking" (regular cookbook, but my bible of cooking) says to slow roast a sirloin. First preheat the oven to 450*, Rub roast with oil. Season to taste... salt, pepper, rub... what ever. Use your imagination. Put roast on a rack, over a pan, and place in oven. Cook for 10 minutes at 450* to brown the outside, then lower temperature to 250*. I personally, would skip the 450* part with the Egg, or, start the roast in a standard oven, then move it into the Egg, because the BGE is so hard to get back down in temperature. Cook at 250* until:
    115* to 125* for rare,
    125* to 130* for medium rare,
    135* to 145* for medium, figuring 20 to 30 minutes per pound to reach the above. Remove when done, cover with foil, and rest for 15 to 20 minutes before carving.[p]I used this recipe in my standard oven, and was surprised at the tenderness of the roast. It should work just fine in the Egg too... no reason for it not to! Enjoy!
    Bonnie