Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First drybag attempt Thnx RRP

Luvs to shoot clay
Luvs to shoot clay Posts: 774
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was 5 days late getting home from work this time and the first thing I did today was to go to Costco and buy this hunk of "Prime" rib eye. I am going to dry age it for 2 to 3 weeks in a dry bag. I had to cut a couple of samples to try tonight. Wouldn't want to spend 2 weeks on a bad chunk of chuck. Thanks RRP for your video on u-tube. I think I got enough air out of the bag with your method.
Here are some pictures. Thanks guys for all your help.

Here it is just home from Costco.

IMGP1113.jpg

Here it is beginning it's 2 week ageing.

IMGP1115.jpg

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    I'm keeping the 17th and 24th open. Let me know what side dish to bring.LOL
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    lookin good! I just checked my You Tube post and that video has been viewed in it's entirety over 1,100 times now! I'm amazed!!! Here's the link of how to use a Food Saver to seal a Drybag:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytQGVYuHHKg&feature=player_embedded
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Roll Tide
    Roll Tide Posts: 505
    RRP,
    Enjoyed the video. Couple questions....Once you seal your dry bags, do you place the meat in your regular fridge or do you keep it at a certain temp in another fridge? How long do you dry age? Thanks
  • RRP
    I place it on a wire rack for sake of good air flow on the bottom shelf of our regular kitchen refrigerator. As for the aging so far I have aged 4 sub-primals to date for 21, 28, 35 and 45 days. I'm partial to the 45 day to be quite honest!
  • RRP,
    Do you think 52 days is too long?
    Can you cut part off and continue with the rest of the meat? I head back in 21 days, not quite as long as I would like. What do you think?
  • RRP
    I'd be tempted for the 52 days - but that's me. As for the partial and then reseal I'm sure it can be done, but I'd be real sure my knife was sterile when I cut off the piece and then resealed so I didn't contaminate the meat for the rest of the process. OTOH 21 days is worth the effort so don't get me wrong. Just don't trim off the good stuff after aging!!!
  • I am not afraid of the meat. By the good stuff, I guess you mean the fat that has turned dark? Do you usually take off the tails or let the diner decide? I like me a little fat meat! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
  • RRP
    I like the fat also but I do trim back some of the hard fat as I call it as it gets a tad gross looking after the aging. Just the same I leave more on than off to be trimmed if not wanted by the consumer after the cook and plated! What I really meant was more about the dark leathery appearing beef skin. Some people trim it all away - but that's where the good taste is! Personally I find that dark part mellows during the sear and is quite tasty!