Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

4th of July cook :D (very pic heavy!)

Options
Rezen73
Rezen73 Posts: 356
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So today, I decided to try and use most of the veggies I still had on hand to go with my traditional 4th of July cook.

First up: Roasted corn with cilantro-pistachio pesto. I was inspired by an episode of "Grill It!" with Bobby Flay; he made some corn with a scallion vinaigrette; and seeing that I had a lot of extra cilantro on hand I decided to do a cilantro pesto. Keeping with the "green" theme, I opted for pistachios instead of pine nuts.

Prep:

Pistachios! Surprising ingredient, but wow it really made the pesto!

IMG_2629.jpg

Leftover cilantro from last weekend's cook.

IMG_2630.jpg

Cilantro, scallions, garlic, pistachios, olive oil, salt, pepper. mmmm goodness :D

IMG_2631.jpg

All done!

IMG_2633.jpg

Next up: the corn. For the corn, I partially shucked it - I peeled the husk back just enough to remove the silk, then slathered it with some bacon fat, sprinkled with freshly ground black peppercorns, some garlic, red pepper flakes, and kosher salt. mmmmm.

IMG_2634.jpg

Then I put the husks back and tied it with butcher string.

IMG_2635.jpg

Next up: the umami burger glaze! Fish sauce, sugar, kosher salt, and granulated garlic.

IMG_2636.jpg

Beef meets glaze. (for these burgers, I got a ~2 pound grass fed prime chuck roast, and had the butcher grind it for me).

IMG_2637.jpg

A jucy lucy! :D Which is nothing more than two thin burger patties with cheese sandwiched in-between. hehe

IMG_2638.jpg

Jucy Lucy all done :D

IMG_2639.jpg

Next: fire roasted salsa! Two bowls - each with roughly the same ingredients - tomatoes, peppers, onions, shallots, garlic - half to be roasted, half to be fresh. All pureed in the food processor for yummy goodness :D

IMG_2640.jpg

What kind of 4th of July cook would be complete without a couple of ABTs? :D

Tried a different take on them this time, seasoning the ground hot Italian sausage with some ancho chili powder, garlic, black pepper, and salt .. and also seasoning the bacon in the same manner.

IMG_2641.jpg

Partially assembled ABTs and seasoned bacon!

IMG_2642.jpg

Back to the salsa. Veggies ready to go on the grill - lightly drizzled with corn oil & sprinkled with a wee pinch of kosher salt.

IMG_2643.jpg

Fresh veggies ready for the food processor.

IMG_2644.jpg

Head of garlic drizzled with some EVOO, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. I roasted this for the aioli.

IMG_2645.jpg

First batch of veggies on the grill :D

IMG_2646.jpg

Nice and toasty :D

IMG_2647.jpg

Remaining veggies on the grill:

IMG_2649.jpg

Ready to be processed!

IMG_2651.jpg

The aroma from the salsa was unbelievable! :D

IMG_2653.jpg

Roasted garlic all done for the aioli :D

IMG_2654.jpg

My little buddy chillin' while daddy cooks :D

IMG_2656.jpg

Corn & ABTs on the grill.

IMG_2662.jpg

Corn & ABTs done :D

IMG_2663.jpg

Whatcha doin' daddy?

IMG_2664.jpg

A tale of two burgers: jucy lucy & umami burger. And bacon to boot :D

IMG_2665.jpg

lol silly doggie. I had to get a new plate since he "licked" that one clean. lol

IMG_2666.jpg

As you can see, I pan seared the burgers in a cast iron skillet.

IMG_2667.jpg

mmmmm bacon.

IMG_2668.jpg

mmmmm jalapenos.

IMG_2670.jpg

Assembling the burgers.

IMG_2671.jpg

Look at the gooey cheese spewing forth from the jucy lucy!

IMG_2674.jpg

Plated. Jucy lucy w/fire roasted salsa on top, an ABT, roasted corn with cilantro-pistachio pesto, and some potatoes. :D I'm still full and it's hours later. haha

IMG_2678.jpg

Comments

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Dang, nice cook

You had me at "then slathered it with bacon fat"
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Marc  from IL
    Marc from IL Posts: 499
    Options
    Pic heavy... Great egging....
  • Unknown
    Options
    Rezen,
    I really enjoy your posts. Awesome work. What did you ultimately think of the fish sauce burgers?

I made them tonight. Now I do fish sauce, soy sauce and garlic and onion powder. Then I add some steak spice to the outside. I think they're great.
  • Rezen73
    Rezen73 Posts: 356
    Options
    Hi Tweev-tip,

I haven't had it yet! haha. Was too full off the jucy lucy and other stuff. :-)

The smell is amazing, though.

Every time I open the fridge, the aroma from the salsa, aioli, and fish sauce burger hits me and makes me salivate. I only wish I was still hungry :D
  • Vincent Chase
    Options
    Awesome!! A seriously inspiring cook.. I really admire your creativity. Going to have to steal your bacon fat on the corn idea and the umami burger sounds interesting, as does the pesto. And the grill-roasted garlic for your aioli.. man I bet that was delicious!! Look forward to more of your posts
  • ozegg
    ozegg Posts: 50
    Options
    Lovely looking cook, I think I will have to try and replicate it, thanks for all the great pictures!
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Nice - thanks for sharing
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    wow that all looks great i think i will rill my vegies next time i make salsa ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Got to hand it to ya, ground prime chuck roast is fit for a King. :woohoo:
    Beautiful pic's and great step-by-step and then I see your finished dinner ready to eat, made my mouth water.
    I bet the pups were droolin also.
  • ozegg
    ozegg Posts: 50
    Options
    Lovely looking cook, I think I will have to try and replicate it, thanks for all the great pictures!
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    Rezen, really nice cook for the Fourth of July. :) I hate to plagiairze, but you had me with the corn slathered with bacon fat, lol. Everything looked great. Roasted salsas are so good. I'll have to try the half & half technique the next time. Usaully I use either fully roasted or fully raw.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Great pictourial!!
    Slathering pig fat and grinding prime chuck....love it!!
    Thanks for sharing!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Options
    Very Very nice.Great looking food. Excellent Post.
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney